Thread: upgrade from BT4beta to BT4 Pre Final ?

Default upgrade from BT4beta to BT4 Pre Final ?

new BT4 pre final, woot! sooo... I be wondering if I can just upgrade from BT4beta (which is installed on my hard drive) straight to the new release (BT4 pre final) ?

would this work?

Code:
    # apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade -y
    'see the fnords!'

In a word NO

Just burned his ISO

will you be able to upgrade from pre-final to final seeing as it installs perfectly
    top job btw guys

Yes that should be possible, but as we have only just released pre-final there is no 100% certainty.

Just burned his ISO

no probs. thanks man.
    this seems very stable - im testing all my cards now

Just burned his ISO

So how to upgrade BT#4 Beta to Pre Release if i've got Beta installed on my harddisk AND i don't want to loose all my data ?

Quote Originally Posted by dekerek View Post
    So how to upgrade BT#4 Beta to Pre Release if i've got Beta installed on my harddisk AND i don't want to loose all my data ?
    well, this is what I did, tar/gzip'd all the files I wanted to save which ended up being only 2 directories for me = /etc (and everything under it), and /root (and everything under it) -- this is how you do that ::
    Code:
    tar czf backup-06212009.tar.gz /etc /root
    then I placed the backup file onto a partition that I was NOT going to be f'n with (heck, if ya got a USB drive, copy it there even). reboot into the new BT4 pre final, and let it format yr old BT4beta install partition using the install.sh/ubiquity installer and away you go.

once everything is done, and you are up and running on yr new BT4 pre final install, and once you get logged into using yr newly created account move the backup file over to yr home directory (or even better to a temporary directory) and untar it ::
    Code:
    tar vxzf backup-06212009.tar.gz
    you will notice it will create 2 new directories in your current dir called /etc and /root --- just make SURE not to do this in the / directory and u are golden. from there, you can manually move the files to the location you want them...

good 2 go
    fnord0
    'see the fnords!'

Just burned his ISO

yahh thank you very much for this fnord0
    I aint crazy just a lil mistaken