Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wicd client not working properly and also having problems with ettercap arp poison

Default Re: Wicd client not working properly and also having problems with ettercap arp poiso

Quote Originally Posted by xX_Spiidey_Xx View Post
    Those aren't errors, which is why, "after seaching all of the internets" you are not able to find a solution to what is not a problem. Installing drivers voids your "BackTrack warranty", and leaves you on your own to figure out how to make things right again.
    No, the kernel headers are fine... if you compile and install the right ones, the right way... from the included source in /usr/src directory. It's the installing "unknown" extras whilst compiling, or after compiling and installing the linux headers that's the problem.
    I like our "BackTrack Warranty"... If your not completely satisfied you can get your money back! (Free, so NONE! )

Ok, so as long as the kernel headers are BT compatible I'm fine. Thanks for the clarification.
    Common Knowledge: Username, "root". Password, "toor". "startx" gives you a GUI, and "fix-vesa" will fix BT if you have no GUI. Start networking with "/etc/init.d/networking start" and check your IP settings with "ifconfig -a". "dhclient" will automatically use DHCP for your IP. Google is your friend.

Default Re: Wicd client not working properly and also having problems with ettercap arp poiso

Thanks for the replys. I was trying to install the new driver since ettercap doesnt work and HCL:Wireless - Offensive-security.com said that you needed to install the drivers from ASPj's WiFi Page: mdk3, rt73, rt2570 and other aircrack-ng experiments for the Linksys WUSB54GC to work properly. Also it doesnt currently support injection or fragmentation without those. I'm trying to get ettercap and WICD to work. If you guys can point me in the direction to sove this problem without the driver I'm all for it lol. Yes I'm definitely at a very low level and would love to have a functional driver to start learning this thing in depth. I've tried it without the Linux headers and Let me give it another go here. If those arent errors how should I finish the installation and bring up the driver I don't see my new rausb0 interface from the installation. Thanks guys once again.

Quote Originally Posted by marthafocker View Post
    Thanks for the replys. I was trying to install the new driver since ettercap doesnt work and HCL:Wireless - Offensive-security.com said that you needed to install the drivers from...
    Did you see what versions of BT those are for?

BackTrack V.2.0-BackTrack V.3.0 (Final) has the following drivers included, in addition to the standard 2.6.20/2.6.21.5 kernel drivers
    We're on kernel version 2.6.30.9, and also note that we're using an Ubuntu kernel, we're no longer on Slax.

If it worked "out of the box", the driver is already loaded and running.

Have you given the aireplay-ng -9 a shot yet to test your injection on the new kernel? I'm thinking that you may already have patched drivers, but are just doing something wrong with wicd and ettercap.
    Last edited by xX_Spiidey_Xx; 03-19-2010 at 10:39 PM.
    thou shalt treat all computers as thou wouldst treat thyself, for thou art the creator of thine own problems.

root@bt:~# aireplay-ng -9 wlan0
    16:28:54 Trying broadcast probe requests...
    16:28:54 Injection is working!
    16:28:56 Found 2 APs

So why isn't Wireshark, WICD, or ettercap working. What is it that I probably havent configured? Thanks Spidey.

Hey Thanks for getting me thinking Spidy I was so bent on the driver I wasnt looking at everything. I stepped back and looked at Iwconfig and my wlan0 interface was in monitor mode.

So i just ran
    Iwconfig wlan0 mode managed and WICD started working. Wireshark is working too as well and lol I finally got ettercap to work as well. I think the check poison plugin is broken because it says no poisoning at all yet wireshark shows the arp poisoning and I was able to see it work when I typed in my username and password. Thanks for your help guys. I guess your right the adapter does work out of the box for backtrack IV. This one is solved.
    Last edited by balding_parrot; 03-20-2010 at 01:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by marthafocker View Post
    This one is solved.
    Beautiful. Glad to be of service!
    thou shalt treat all computers as thou wouldst treat thyself, for thou art the creator of thine own problems.

Quote Originally Posted by xX_Spiidey_Xx View Post
    Beautiful. Glad to be of service!
    Couldn't have said that better myself.
    Common Knowledge: Username, "root". Password, "toor". "startx" gives you a GUI, and "fix-vesa" will fix BT if you have no GUI. Start networking with "/etc/init.d/networking start" and check your IP settings with "ifconfig -a". "dhclient" will automatically use DHCP for your IP. Google is your friend.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12