Thread: Wicd client not working properly and also having problems with ettercap arp poison

Hybrid View

Default Wicd client not working properly and also having problems with ettercap arp poison

I am having problems getting Wicd client to work. It says that I have a wired connection and there are now wireless networks available. Also when I try to run ettercap according to the tutorial the arp poisoning is not working. I'm not sure if these networking issues are related. It seems like I get the same hosts no matter which network I'm on as well.
    I am using a Linksys compact wireless G Adapter.
    chipset and driver: Ralink 2573 USB rt-73usb [phy-0]
    Heres two videos. One is of me inputting the commands and the wicd not working and the other of the ettercap not working.
    Also I have some screenshots with the iconfig, iwconfig, dhc, lshw -C network. Feel free to laught at me but please give me some help as well

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/dWte0IvoiuM&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/dWte0IvoiuM&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/DcDSDb0K-34&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/DcDSDb0K-34&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
    Immagini allegate Immagini allegate

Default Re: Wicd client not working properly and also having problems with ettercap arp poiso

Your second video doesn't pull up Ettercap, its just of you running a "Networking Start"... I can help you with the Ettercap, but you will need a network connection before you can do it.

What tutorial did you use for the "Ettercap with ARP Poisoning?"
    Common Knowledge: Username, "root". Password, "toor". "startx" gives you a GUI, and "fix-vesa" will fix BT if you have no GUI. Start networking with "/etc/init.d/networking start" and check your IP settings with "ifconfig -a". "dhclient" will automatically use DHCP for your IP. Google is your friend.

Default Re: Wicd client not working properly and also having problems with ettercap arp poiso

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/M5dikTAVNtQ&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/M5dikTAVNtQ&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Sry theres. The real video. I'm able to browse fine and pull up websites. I watched the tutorial from infinityexists.com. It was like an hour long tutorial on Man in the middle. And I've been looking around for the last couple days at forums. I just cant seem to figure out why the connection is off. Wep cracking works fine. Wireshark is also affected its not pulling in any packets. Thanks for your help.

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Dear Martha, as you can see using the 'embed youtube video code' does not work here. As such there is no need to continue trying. Just copy the link from your browser's address bar and paste it instead. Then we can read your posts easier.

Sincerely

Sry again guys.

Heres the link to the Wicd comand failure video: YouTube - starting wicd.avi
    Heres the link to the ettercap command failure video. YouTube - Real Ettercap

Few things I want to check before we continue:
    1. Did you change your Ettercap config file to allow ARP with the IP tables?
    2. Did you go to the computer that you Posioned and then went to Gmail or Hotmail and tried to log in to the website? (the only reason I ask is because we can not see that computer you are attacking)
    Common Knowledge: Username, "root". Password, "toor". "startx" gives you a GUI, and "fix-vesa" will fix BT if you have no GUI. Start networking with "/etc/init.d/networking start" and check your IP settings with "ifconfig -a". "dhclient" will automatically use DHCP for your IP. Google is your friend.

Yes I changed the conf file getting rid of the quots and adjusting it. I tried logging in with a desktop computer through hotmail and there was no response during the ettercap program. Like I said when I run the check poisoning. It says that the poisoning was unsuccessful. I'm wondering if it is perhaps a driver problem. So i tried installing an enhanced driver for injection and to get the WICD client working but I'm running into problems there as well. The driver I'm attempting to install is rt73-k2wrlz-3.0.3 an enhanced driver from ASPj's WiFi Page: mdk3, rt73, rt2570 and other aircrack-ng experiments However now I get these errors after I enter

sudo make install

***Update /etc/modprobe.d/ralink alias wlan/
    ***Install firmware in /lib/firmware/
    ***Check old config...

Before I started the installation of the driver I ran

sudo aptitude update
    sudo aptitude safe-upgrade
    sudo aptitude install linux-headers

I always seem to get the above error. I've tried modprbing rt73usb at the beginning and also doing it when I get these errors.
    I've also done a blacklist file to blacklist the drivers for new driver rt73.ko to be compatible in the beginning before but I still seem to get this error. Is the firmware not installing properly or in a place that it is not usualy? How should I update my ralink alias? I have attached a screenshot. Let me know if you think that I may not even need the enhanced driver for getting WICD client running and ettercap arp poisoning to work. From what I researched this driver should do the trick possibly and also enable WPA cracking. Does anyone else have problems with Linksys G Adapter WUSB54GC v.1 using ettercap and WICD out of the box. To recap out of the box, it is able to crack wep and browse the internet. However, ettercap arp poisoning, wireshark, and WICD client seem to not be working. Thanks guys once again for your input
    Immagini allegate Immagini allegate

Has anyone encountered that error message while installing the enhanced driver?

Since it seems no one is used to seeing this error or maybe its just too easy of a fix even though I've searched the whole internet that they dont wanna spoon feed me lol, Could someone recommend a Wireless adapter that works out of the box for backtrack IV for Injection, fragmentation and everything? Before I bought the Linksys WUSB54GC my research led me to believe I had to install the enhanced driver and it would work fine but apparently thats not the case. I wanna make sure I get the right driver this time so I can continue on the road of backtrack and ubuntu education.
    Last edited by Archangel-Amael; 03-19-2010 at 06:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by marthafocker View Post
    sudo make install

***Check old config...

sudo aptitude update
    Those don't look like errors. It looks like the system is actually doing the steps it says... Of course if the thumbnail was big enough to read I would be able to see the full thing...

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but doesn't installing the Linux headers mess up programs in BT?

Quote Originally Posted by marthafocker View Post
    However now I get these errors after I enter

sudo make install

***Check old config...

sudo aptitude update

To recap out of the box, it is able to crack wep and browse the internet. However, ettercap arp poisoning, wireshark, and WICD client seem to not be working. Thanks guys once again for your input
    Those aren't errors, which is why, "after seaching all of the internets" you are not able to find a solution to what is not a problem. Installing drivers voids your "BackTrack warranty", and leaves you on your own to figure out how to make things right again.

Why you would do this, after it was working "out of the box", completely baffles me. And your use of the sudo command when you're already root goes to show what level you're at. Try harder!

Quote Originally Posted by micole View Post
    Forgive me if I'm wrong, but doesn't installing the Linux headers mess up programs in BT?
    No, the kernel headers are fine... if you compile and install the right ones, the right way... from the included source in /usr/src directory. It's the installing "unknown" extras whilst compiling, or after compiling and installing the linux headers that's the problem.
    thou shalt treat all computers as thou wouldst treat thyself, for thou art the creator of thine own problems.