Thread: Why doesn't the station show in Backtrack?

Just burned his ISO

Default Why doesn't the station show in Backtrack?

Hey guys! This should probably be my last thread for awhile, but I was hoping someone could help me wit this issue I'm having. I'm following Xploitz video tutorial of him cracking WPA2 with Backtrack 2. I'm using Backtrack 4 Beta, and I'm running into two issues.

1) In the beginning of the video, I type in "airmon-ng stop wlan0" then
    "airmon-ng start wlan0" though it says monitor mode is enabled on mon0, which I have no idea what that means. But my bigger issue is this coming up one

2) When I get to the airodump-ng -c 6 -w psk --bssid: 00:00:00:00:00 part, it's supposed to look like this

i42. tinypic. com/ 2reqqtg .png <--- It's spaced apart

The part that's circled in red, doesn't show up for me though. Also the "Pwr" part is in the negatives 50's for me. Anyone ideas about that? So yeah, if anyone can figure out why the station doesn't show up for me, I'll owe ya a big one

Quote Originally Posted by eLiT3SnIpEz View Post
    Hey guys! This should probably be my last thread for awhile, but I was hoping someone could help me wit this issue I'm having. I'm following Xploitz video tutorial of him cracking WPA2 with Backtrack 2. I'm using Backtrack 4 Beta, and I'm running into two issues.

1) In the beginning of the video, I type in "airmon-ng stop wlan0" then
    "airmon-ng start wlan0" though it says monitor mode is enabled on mon0, which I have no idea what that means.
    But my bigger issue is this coming up one

2) When I get to the airodump-ng -c 6 -w psk --bssid: 00:00:00:00:00 part, it's supposed to look like this

i42. tinypic. com/ 2reqqtg .png <--- It's spaced apart

The part that's circled in red, doesn't show up for me though. Also the "Pwr" part is in the negatives 50's for me. Anyone ideas about that? So yeah, if anyone can figure out why the station doesn't show up for me, I'll owe ya a big one
    No, that's the biggest issue of them all. If you don't know what the terminology means, what the hell are you using backtrack for?
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Google is going to become your next best friend if your serous about this.

Backtrack isnt much designed for someone who just follows steps in a video, sure seeing what there doing is great, but almost everyone here researches the hell out of what they see so they know whats going on.

I will say that the negative numbers are a known bug, but you really should have figured that out on your own as its not hard with a few short experiments to find out.

"man airodump-ng" is also helpful

Good Luck
    Using backtrack for the first time is like being 10 years old again with the keys to a Ferrari.

Just burned his ISO

Whoa guys, I'm trying to learn here. it seems some people on this forum really don't like noobs who are actually trying to learn. I appreciate the help, but not at the expense of sarcasm and belittling comments ) : I'll see how the "man airodump-ng" command serves me.

EDIT: I'm gonna use Backtrack 3 instead of Beta 4, since 3 is more stable, and not quite as glitchy. One thing though, shouldn't the "man airodump-ng" command be "man0" instead of just "man"? I'm not trying to sound like a noob, since I'm not a huge noob fan in my own area of expertise, but this is still pretty new to me