Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: KDE proportions messed up

Quote Originally Posted by masteroc View Post
    Having some trouble trying to install the ati drivers. I have been trying to follow the instructions from "http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Ubuntu_Intrepid_Installation_Guide#Installing_the_ restricted_drivers_manually"

But these instructions want me to use my browser to download the drivers from ati's website. The problem is that I cant access my browser because of the text rendering problem. Any advice?
    lynx?

Code:
    lynx $www.domain.com
    -OR-

Code:
    man wget
    'see the fnords!'

Ill try lynx. I did try wget already, but I was not able to connect to the direct download link of ati's driver. I'll post back tomorrow if I get time to try.

Thanks

I was reading some guides about installing ati drivers in ubuntu and it seems that all of them hinge around using the ATI install script downloaded from their website. The problem that I see with this is that it open up a graphical installer. Won't this have the same messed up text as the rest of the OS?

masteroc,

try to start the XServer with
    Code:
    # startx -- -dpi 96
    That easily solved the problem for me on my EEE 901

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

If the post directly above mine here does not work and you still need the drivers which you probably do then see this link.
    Go to it with some other computer. There is a link for downloading the driver
    There is also pdf for install instructions.
    If you only have the one computer then you are going to need to use lynx to navigate to the web page.
    ATI Catalyst™ Proprietary Display Driver

Make sure at the top of the page your card is listed.
    You posted above you have a ATI Radeon 200m graphics card.
    While ati has a listing for a 200 xpress or what not. So long as you see the name for your card in the above link listed then you should be ok. It is a legacy driver, so really there should be some good support available for you.
    The are several links at ubuntu that detail various ways in which to install the drivers. I would personally suggest you follow what the manufacturer has given instead. Generally their instructions will be better.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Thank you both for your answers, I will try these solutions when I get home later tonight!

Edit: Found a sec to try it out and or4n93's solution seems to do the trick. I will do some more testing later, but the "start" menu and windows have the correct, or at least usable, size.

Thanks!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12