Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hacking illustrated video... wep-> exploit-> backdoor>

Quote Originally Posted by pureh@te View Post
    Well if you apply for a IT job you can bet they will throw your application in the garbage if its full of spelling mistakes even though IT has nothing to do with grammar. Do you want some one with root access messing around on your company servers when they cant even spell?. You guys can believe whatever you want but I know for a fact that I speak for the majority of the senior members and staff around here when I say "If you can not even take the time to review your post and make sure its accurate for spelling, content and grammar then we dont have time to read it and answer the question"
    +1
    Personally, I read and re-read what I've posted, checking that I'm using correct spelling, grammar, etc. and not afraid to edit a post if something's unlcear or ambiguous.

--> It comes down to RESPECT <--

I've got a lot of respect for the developers of the BT distro, and those who are senior around here, checking in and sharing their experiences. These forums are an extension of their work. Trash posts are disrespectful of their effort. Respect extends to the moderators as well, since many times their job is unglamorous, behind-the-scenes and thankless, dealing with all manner of childish online behaviour.
    You. Are. Doing. It. Wrong.
    -Gitsnik

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Well if you apply for a IT job you can bet they will throw your application in the garbage if its full of spelling mistakes even though IT has nothing to do with grammar.
    Most jobs for that matter will do the same. I throw them all in the round file.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Just burned his ISO

nice video. i liked it.

and on the topic of spelling errors and grammar errors. who cares? honestly. its a public forum. not a job interview. he posted something to help out. dont need to attack him.

dont like it dont read it imo.

Developer

Quote Originally Posted by David911 View Post
    nice video. i liked it.

and on the topic of spelling errors and grammar errors. who cares? honestly. its a public forum. not a job interview. he posted something to help out. dont need to attack him.

dont like it dont read it imo.
    Ah see that's where you didn't bother to read the entire thread. I wasnt attacking the author of the video. I was simply pointing out my comments which he asked for. Then people (such as your self) started attacking me and I am merely defending my position. You clearly are you of the non spellers I am talking about.

people (such as your self) started attacking me and I am merely defending my position.
    No one is "attacking" you any more than you are "attacking" the author of the video. We're simply voicing our opinion that spelling/grammar mistakes are irrelevant to the content of the video.

Again, I agree with you and archangel.amael that spelling/grammar is important for a professional career in IT, but as David911 pointed out, this isn't a job interview so I don't believe we should hold people to the same standards.

I just wanted to add that I deeply respect and admire the work you and other senior members do for the forum and mean no disrespect by my opinions.

Just burned his ISO

no no pureh@te you got it wrong bro. i didnt mean it like that. and i did read the whole thread. it wasnt just you saying things about it. and i respect how you told him about his mistakes. it was more constructive then ive seen on alot of forums. idk what i meant when i posted that.

i just think comparing a small pentesting video to an IT job isnt really a fair comarison.

Great video!

And I'm sure BigMac appreciated PureHates comments, especially seeing as he was hoping to get Adrien Crishaw to post it on his site.

i sum how agree with pureh@te in that using the bash history and bad spelling downgraded the video slightly. But excellent video BigMac, its been awhile since i actually enjoyed watching a video.
    BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU!!!

Since this thread has been revived I will chime in with my opinion on the spelling and grammar issue, because its a pet peeve of mine.

I think this forum is a lot more professional that many other similar forums out on the Net, and thats largely because many posters here (more than the average) do make a reasonable effort to keep their spelling and grammar to within a stones shot of the rules of English.

Why is it Im making a big deal about this? Its because when you spend a lot of your time reading professional publications and documents, as well as writing and editing those documents, good English becomes a habit. So when you see bad spelling and grammar, it hits you like a punch in the face. It really stands out, and it can be hard to look past it.

If I see a post here that doesnt at least take a reasonable stab at this, my opinion of the poster immediately drops a little, and I have a hard time envisioning them as anything other than a teenager. A post with bad grammar and spelling would have to have content of "beautiful mind" level brilliance before I would completely be able to overlook this.

As pureh@te mentioned, the writing of peoples posts is one of the few avenues by which we can get a sense of who they are, and if your writing doesnt follow many of the basic rules that most of us learn in primary school, then its hard not to assume that you're either lazy or uneducated.
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.

http://vimeo.com/download/video:3631...8f4bf98152ef2a

im not sure if you are allowed access to the video download but try that link...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123