Thread: Backtrack 3 Final Definitions

Question Backtrack 3 Final Definitions

Hello Backtrackers,

I have (what I am hoping to be) a simple question, Linux is not my number 1 choice for an OS, but I like to think that Backtrack will one day help me on my path to becoming a peng-tester/computer security analyst. The question is:

on the "mode screen" there is a laundry list of choices, I was wondering what their definitions were...?

they are:

1. BT3 Grapics mode (KDE, Flux, VESA KDE, and persistant changes)

a. what does the abbreviations in parenthesis mean?

2. BT3 Text mode (Frame Buffer)

a. what does the abbreviation in parenthesis mean?

3. what does "msramdmp" mean?

Thank you for reading

Nyk0n
    RIP SHIRLEY 10/11/2008

Hey Nyk0n

The most important thing is to commit to learn yourself. Nobody will learn for you.

if you really become a professional peng-tester, linux will be your first choice

How about try to google the words in parenthesis? And if something is still unclear, come back and ask again (in this thread)

Edit: Oh and the community don't help to do something illegal... so I don't think we will help ETA...
    Auswaertsspiel

Quote Originally Posted by Nyk0n View Post
    Hello Backtrackers,

I have (what I am hoping to be) a simple question, Linux is not my number 1 choice for an OS, but I like to think that Backtrack will one day help me on my path to becoming a peng-tester/computer security analyst. The question is:

on the "mode screen" there is a laundry list of choices, I was wondering what their definitions were...?

they are:

1. BT3 Grapics mode (KDE, Flux, VESA KDE, and persistant changes)

a. what does the abbreviations in parenthesis mean?
    KDE = K Desktop Environment
    Flux = A X Window Manager based on BlackBox.
    VESA = Video Electronics Standards Association
    Persistant change = The ability to make changes which persist.

2. BT3 Text mode (Frame Buffer)

a. what does the abbreviation in parenthesis mean?
    Frame Buffer = A framebuffer is a video output device that drives a video display from a memory buffer containing a complete frame of data.

3. what does "msramdmp" mean?
    Msramdump uses SysLinux and some Windows utilities to allow one to boot a Windows system from a USB disk (or other removable disk) and dump the RAM as it currently exists.
    I'm a compulsive post editor, you might wanna wait until my post has been online for 5-10 mins before quoting it as it will likely change.

I know I seem harsh in some of my replies. SORRY! But if you're doing something illegal or posting something that seems to be obvious BS I'm going to call you on it.

I think ETA can hold their own...and to be 100% honest, as far as I know the only white-hats in that group are myself and Ghost Exodus, althogh do not qoute me on that

nice looking forum guys

and thanks to the both of you
    RIP SHIRLEY 10/11/2008

I think ETA can hold their own...and to be 100% honest, as far as I know the only white-hats in that group are myself and Ghost Exodus, althogh do not qoute me on that

nice looking forum guys

and thanks to the both of you
    Your welcome.

Sadly, somehow it doesn't speak very highly of ETA that basic acronyms and google'fu escape you.
    I'm a compulsive post editor, you might wanna wait until my post has been online for 5-10 mins before quoting it as it will likely change.

I know I seem harsh in some of my replies. SORRY! But if you're doing something illegal or posting something that seems to be obvious BS I'm going to call you on it.

althogh do not qoute me on that
    that you will never ask for help when doing something illegal or what?

Quote Originally Posted by thorin View Post
    Sadly, somehow it doesn't speak very highly of ETA that basic acronyms and google'fu escape you.
    try Wikipedia fu ETA (upper case!)
    Auswaertsspiel

Quote Originally Posted by floyd View Post
    try Wikipedia fu ETA (upper case!)
    Hmmm from the earlier white hat comments I was taking ETA to mean a hacking group that I recall existed back in my college days ...

I fail to see what http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ETA has to do with white-hats.