Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Alfa AWUS050NH + rt2x00 from compat-wireless

Just burned his ISO

i have the v2 version of the AWUS050NH with rt2800usb and i have some problems:
    - i can't change the tx power to values >7dBm
    - i can't connect to any networks but i can inject without problems

I use a Debian kernel 2.6.30-2-686, i tested many compat-wireless (compat-wireless-aircrack-alfa036h-050nh, compat-wireless-2.6.30, compat-wireless-2.6, compat-wireless-2009-10-23, compat-wireless-2009-10-24), iw 0.9.17.
    rt2870sta doesn't work at all, i can't even inject packets
    rt2800usb can only inject with a transmit power of 7dB

does someone know this problem ?

Just burned his ISO

there is a problem with the new kernel and compact drivers

UPDATE (15/Jul/09) - Ref. ALFA-AWUS050NH -
    - It was released Kernel 2.6.30, and at the moment there are some problems in recent Compact-Wireless. (only for Internet connections).
    - The injection work fine BUT is difficult browsing in Internet, for this purpose loaded the driver rt2870sta.

full thread at hxxp://forum.aircrack-ng.org/index.php?topic=5755.0

so my best guess is that you need to wait till they fix it

Just burned his ISO

I already saw that post but i thought there was a workaround :\
    The rt2870sta driver doesn't work at all

Quote Originally Posted by pwetpwet View Post
    I already saw that post but i thought there was a workaround :\
    The rt2870sta driver doesn't work at all
    Hi pwetpwet,

On Ubuntu Jaunty (default kernel 2.6.28-11-generic) work all fine.
    Read:
    http://forum.aircrack-ng.org/index.p...33789#msg33789

Bye Jano
    Wireless: ALFA-AWUS036H, AWUS050NH, D-Link DWL-G650, D-Link DWL-G122, ZyXel G220, Linksys WUB54GR, Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG

Just burned his ISO

Hey fnord0, something has come up and I'm not sure if it has been brought to your attention.

Downloading the latest Compat Wireless (released 12-11-09) on BT4 a pre-release ISO(I used the official Offensive Security guide to make a persistent USB stick) gives us hard errors on the "make" part of the compile once again:
    Code:
    /root/compat-wireless-2009-12-11/drivers/net/wireless/rtl818x/rtl8187_leds.c: In function ‘rtl8187_unregister_led’:
    /root/compat-wireless-2009-12-11/drivers/net/wireless/rtl818x/rtl8187_leds.c:170: error: implicit declaration of function ‘flush_delayed_work’
    make[4]: *** [/root/compat-wireless-2009-12-11/drivers/net/wireless/rtl818x/rtl8187_leds.o] Error 1
    make[3]: *** [/root/compat-wireless-2009-12-11/drivers/net/wireless/rtl818x] Error 2
    make[2]: *** [/root/compat-wireless-2009-12-11/drivers/net/wireless] Error 2
    make[1]: *** [_module_/root/compat-wireless-2009-12-11] Error 2
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-source-2.6.29.4'
    make: *** [modules] Error 2
    Actually, there were quite a few more errors, but this is just to show you that a similar issue is arising from the one you had back in July. However, the compat-wireless-2.6.30.tar.bz2 tarball compiles and installs normally without an errors, but there are *NO* rt2800usb modules installed with this package for some reason:
    Code:
    root@bt:~# modprobe rt2800usb
    FATAL: Module rt2800usb not found.
    Just for informational purposes:
    Code:
    root@bt:~# uname -a
    Linux bt 2.6.29.4 #3 SMP Mon May 25 18:50:05 EDT 2009 i686 GNU/Linux
    I think we may have to possibly find a new commitdiff change like the one you posted by johill last time.

ya, good call... you will see that the devs break compat-wireless every so often, it is not considered fully stable yet (iirc). so best bet is to find one that indeed DOES compile with no errors, and stick with that revision as your "proper" rev, and whenever you wanna check out some new code, just download it and try it out. I know I've ran into multiple compat-wireless "breaks" since I last posted the note above about the "fix" from johill. anyways, best of luck!
    'see the fnords!'

Just burned his ISO

Actually, I did find a work around using both fnord0's guide and Jano's guide on the aircrack-ng forums. The biggest difference is downloading and installing Jano's suggested compat wireless package that he suggested in his thread, but blacklisting the drivers needs to be done a *tad* bit differently.

However, I tried posting the modified tutorial and due to a 15 post requirement to post links (wget's), I cannot post this semi-pseudo modified guide that I just wrote. fnord0, is there anyway I can send this to you so we can at least get it up for others? Can't PM either, just tried.

By the way, thanks a lot for your tutorial, fnord0. Between both your guide and Jano's, the information was handed to me on a silver platter!

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dexxra View Post
    However, I tried posting the modified tutorial and due to a 15 post requirement to post links (wget's), I cannot post this semi-pseudo modified guide that I just wrote.
    hxxp = http and or w w w = www
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Just burned his ISO

@archangel.amael: I was thinking about doing that before I threw up my post, but I knew somewhere, somehow someone would copy the commands line by line and ask why they were not working.

Anyways, here is how I installed everything for my Alfa AWUS050NH on my BackTrack 4 Pre Release persistent USB stick. Make sure to replace the hxxp's with http's in the wget commands!

First I updated the IW package following Jano's tutorial and taking some backup advice from fnord0's guide:
    Code:
    mv /usr/bin/iw /usr/sbin/OLDiw--OGbt4beta
    wget hxxp://wireless.kernel.org/download/iw/iw-0.9.18.tar.bz2
    tar jxvf iw-0.9.18.tar.bz2
    cd iw-0.9.18
    make
    make install
    cp -p iw /usr/sbin
    Make sure to double check that IW updated properly!
    Code:
    iw --version
    iw version 0.9.18
    Next, I installed the rt2870sta firmware directly from RealTek's website (The link is posted by fnord0 on the first page of this thread and is titled "Ralink corp. | Linux"). You will get some weird errors unzipping this file as mentioned by fnord0, but it does seem to be working perfectly fine:
    Code:
    unzip RT2870_Firmware_V8.zip
    mv RT2870_Firmware_V8/rt2870.bin /lib/firmware
    # Double check that the firmware was properly moved
    ls -al /lib/firmware/rt2870.bin
    This next part requires a little bit of knowledge from the user(s) and understanding which wireless drivers they actually have loaded. Generally, if you think you don't have any wireless drivers loaded and running and "rmmod mac80211" returns an error and lists dependencies, those are probably the drivers that are currently loaded and you will probably want to blacklist and unload those drivers temporarily for the compat wireless install. After I did this, I installed the compat wireless package suggested by Jano:
    Code:
    rmmod mac80211

echo "blacklist mac80211" | tee -a /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist
    echo "blacklist rt2870sta" | tee -a /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist
    echo "blacklist rt2800usb" | tee -a /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist

wget hxxp://download.aircrack-ng.org/drivers/compat-wireless-aircrack-alfa036h-050nh.tar.bz2
    tar jxvf compat-wireless-aircrack-alfa036h-050nh.tar.bz2
    cd compat-wireless-aircrack-alfa036h-050nh
    make clean
    make
    make install
    make unload
    After the compat wireless package finished compiling and installing I loaded up the new rt2800usb driver:
    Code:
    modprobe rt2800usb
    And voila, I had a working rt2800usb driver that works completely with aircrack-ng, kismet, and all the other devices I use for my wireless penetration tests. Again, "works completely" as far as I have tested and can tell. The only thing that is semi-annoying is that the rt2800usb driver does *NOT* work for actually connecting to an AP directly for an internet connection. For that, you have to unload the rt2800usb driver and load the rt2870sta driver that is pre-installed with BT4.

Also, if you want to change the MAC address while using the rt2870sta driver, you cannot use macchanger. I have been looking for a solution everywhere to get macchanger working with this driver, but have come up empty handed. However, you can edit /etc/modeprobe.d/options and change the MAC address by using a new "option":
    Code:
    nano /etc/modprobe.d/options
    # Add the following line at the bottom and change "MAC Address" to the mac address you want! 
    # ie; options rt2870sta mac="01:23:45:67:89:AB"
    options rt2870sta mac="MAC Address"
    ifconfig ra0 down
    rmmod rt2870sta
    modprobe rt2870sta
    Code:
    # ifconfig ra0
    ra0       Link encap:UNSPEC  HWaddr 01-23-45-67-89-AB
              inet6 addr: fe80::ee65:59ff:feaa:5db0/64 Scope:Link
              UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
              RX packets:5472 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
              TX packets:80 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
              collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
              RX bytes:822994 (822.9 KB)  TX bytes:6640 (6.6 KB)
    You can easily bash script that for convenience if you really wanted to.

I would like to thank fnord0 and Jano for their great tutorials on this subject. If anything I posted helps you, don't bother thanking me, thank them!

EDIT: Oops, just realized I forgot to add a link to Jano's tutorial!
    hxxp://forum.aircrack-ng.org/index.php?topic=5755.0

fnord0's is located, well, on the first page of this thread.

great job, Dexxra - I looked over your entire post, it looks awsome! when I get some free time I am gonna have to give this version of compat-wireless that is hosted @ aircrack-ng.org a try. thanks for your work & post! also :: I love the part in yr post about HOWTO change the MAC while using rt2870sta drivers, I never knew about the "MAC" option while calling the rt2870sta module. very cool - I'll let ya know how things turn out from this end. peace
    'see the fnords!'

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast