Thread: Best Wireless Card & Antenna setup?

Just burned his ISO

Lightbulb Best Wireless Card & Antenna setup?

Ok, basically i need to buy a PCMCIA wirless card (with external antenna support) and antenna, and was wondering which card/ antenna combo is best. I'm relatively new to backtrack but im not completely incompetent. Price isnt so much a problem, i just want it to work with little or ideally no tinkering...

Can i ask why you would want to go with a PCMCIA card?

You might want to search as there are about 200 other people who have asked the same thing.

Anyways welcome and have a pleasant stay.
    Using backtrack for the first time is like being 10 years old again with the keys to a Ferrari.

Maybe he means 32bit Cardbus, rather than actually the 16bit pcmcia?

If you really do mean pcmcia, then you're going to be stuck with 11b cards only

Many people find cards to be preferable to USB solutions because they don't "dangle" around so much
    On the down-side, there probably aren't so many cards with ext antenna connectors, compared to USB devices with ext antenna connectors?
    (Especially not "newer" cards/chipsets anyway)

Anyway, most people seem to just settle for the USB 500mw Alfa these days.

Where cards are concerned, Atheros chipsets are still the way to go usually, but like I said, there aren't so many with ext anntenna connectors.

There are many, many posts around here discussing the merits and pitfalls of various wifi devices

Quote Originally Posted by Re@lity View Post
    Maybe he means 32bit Cardbus, rather than actually the 16bit pcmcia?

If you really do mean pcmcia, then you're going to be stuck with 11b cards only
    Im not going to come out and say your wrong about those statements, but i will say i HIGHLY disagree, as i have seen plenty G pcmcia cards. I also know that as of 97 almost every computer runs a 32bit bus.

Come to think of it maybe we are just mincing words as from what i know everything pre ExpressCard is pcmcia .. and no one really ever called anything a cardbus.
    Using backtrack for the first time is like being 10 years old again with the keys to a Ferrari.

Just burned his ISO

I can see why u though i meant a 16bit card bus, cause i never specified the type of the card. I do mean a 32bit type II. Im using a laptop and i find the card just fits better and are less likely to break, especially if i'm in the car. Im not completly opposed to a usb card but would much rather preffer a internal card. .

Straying slightly off-topic but I would recommend a USB device (alfa 500mw is my preference). It does everything needed, has good range / signal strenth always and is a reasonable price. Also Pentesting / Hacking above all else seems to be one of those times when you are constantly re-arranging the equipment at your disposal to have the best setup in place for a particular task, plug and play devices are a godsend in these situations.

Quote Originally Posted by Danboy View Post
    Straying slightly off-topic but I would recommend a USB device (alfa 500mw is my preference). It does everything needed, has good range / signal strenth always and is a reasonable price. Also Pentesting / Hacking above all else seems to be one of those times when you are constantly re-arranging the equipment at your disposal to have the best setup in place for a particular task, plug and play devices are a godsend in these situations.
    I'll go along with this and add that the usb device is external to your laptop, meaning you won't need a long jumper cable to go to an external antenna, you could attach the radio directly to the antenna if it has the correct connector.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Quote Originally Posted by vvpalin View Post
    Im not going to come out and say your wrong about those statements, but i will say i HIGHLY disagree, as i have seen plenty G pcmcia cards. I also know that as of 97 almost every computer runs a 32bit bus.

Come to think of it maybe we are just mincing words as from what i know everything pre ExpressCard is pcmcia .. and no one really ever called anything a cardbus.
    Your not "mincing words", you're mixing architectures

They can be referred to as just "pcmcia" - after the advent of 16bit PCcard came 32bit Cardbus.
    After this, in my experience, by conventional naming, pcmcia was generally used to denote 16bit and Cardbus to denote 32bit.

AFAIK, 16bit PCMCIA (PC Card) does not have the bandwidth to accommodate a 54g connection. 32bit Cardbus is the way to go for this.

The "socket" used differs too. You cannot plug a 32bit Cardbus card into a 16bit socket. This is because the 32bit Cardbus and 16bit pcmcia use differing voltages (3.3v/5v
    However, 32bit Cardbus sockets will accept the slower 16bit cards, if they can operate at the different voltage.
    (If you look at the socket end of the cards, you'll see that they simply employ different "slot and groove" positions for each architecture and this is the simplest way to determine if it will support the voltage of the socket - it is designed to simply not fit if it won't carry the offered volatge of the socket!)

However, this is my understanding of the buses, going from memory, back in the day
    Maybe someone with direct knowledge can put us right on this?

Yes, most people call them all "pcmcia" but when someone is looking (supposedly) specifically for a pcmcia card, especially when looking for a wifi card with external antenna connectors, it is important to know if they really do mean 16bit pcmcia or not, as that will make a *huge* difference to the cards available.

Also, if it is an old laptop and does actually have 16bit pcmcia socket(s), then it is unlikely to have USB 2.0 sockets, so again limits will occur with 11g usb cards too.

I wouldn't like to recommend someone spends there money on something that may not work for them

Anyway, as per my earlier post, I agree about the Alfa too - if you can, go with that