Hi,

I was trying to get the announced nvidia-drivers from the remote-exploit repository using apt-get (I got BT4 pre Final).

The package is called "backtrack-nvidia"

Everything seemed to go the usual way, when at the end of the installation process it stopped and gave me the following output

Code:
subprocess dpkg returned error code (1)
This occured when it tried to install the package "nvidia-drivers".

I googled it, and found some things, but there the problem was low disk space, that's definately not the case with me!
I also tried to re-install from live-cd (about 4-5 times) and then used different approaches in the update-process...

I just can't find any clues on how to fix this error..

I also tried:

Code:
dpkg-reconfigure -a
since this seemed to fix the dpkg in another problem (read that when I was researching the problem). In my case this didn't solve it either..

Now everytime I decide to try again, apt-get won't work (only the update works) and it tells me to run it using

Code:
apt-get install -f
When I tried that, same Error occured.

I also thought this might be a apt error so I tried aptitude as well with the same errors..

I feel really lost now... Any clues or help would be greatly appreciated.

My Hardware:

Dell D830 Notebook
Nvidia Quadro NVS Series (notebook) 140M

Well since no one had an idea yet, I've decided to post more of my output in here..

Code:
Unpacking nvidia-driver (from .../nvidia-driver_185.18.08-bt4_i386.deb)
dpkg: error processing /var/cache/archives/nvidia-driver_185.18.08-bt4_i386.deb (--unpack):
trying to overwrite /usr/include/GL/gl.h' , which is also in package mesa-common-dev
Processing triggers for man-db ...
Error were encountered while processing:
/var/cache/apt/archives/nvidia-driver_185.18.08-bt4_i386.deb
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
If I am using the apt-get as root (and not be running X!) it should be able to overwrite the file in the above output.. (As far as I figure it)..

So has anybody any ideas or hints now?

edit1:

I have now tried to move the file which was unable to be overwritten to a different location. Tried to fix it again using the "apt-get install -f" and still had the same error.
Then I figured maybe the package mesa-common-dev could be removed prior to the installation of the nvidia-driver, but how can I "clean" apt-get? It tells me I need to take care of the nvidia-driver problem first.
Last try was to "touch" a new gl.h into the directory and still I had the same error...

edit2:
I'm going in a new direction (tried to "think outside the box"). I reinstalled bt4 to my harddrive to fix my apt-get. Now I will try to compile some older drivers first and then do a new update (so hopefully, it will be replaceable by the backtrack-nvidia drivers).
I'll keep posting my results, if someone has and idea tho, feel free to suggest.

edit3:
Turns out I ran into some more trouble when trying to compile any packages... It tells me the kernel-headers are missing...
I googled than and found a post refering to this on this forum:
http://forums.remote-exploit.org/bt4...l-headers.html
So now I'm on this problem...

While doing some more research I found someone with similiar error in the dpkg:
https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+question/21977

*Hope this will help someone with the same errors*

************************************************** *****************************
Solution:

When dpkg returns errors while updating/installing something on the system, this means the file can't be overwritten. In most cases you can solve this problem if you just move the file away and try again!