Thread: [Recommendation]Open Source Triangulation Application

Just burned his ISO

Default [Recommendation]Open Source Triangulation Application

Hi there,

I m doing a research regarding Wifi Location Based security system (LBS). may i know is there any applications in backtrack or any Linux-based that i can use for my research ? I have 3-4 APs in my room for this research but for now i m still in search for a open sourse application that can help me.

Objective:

1. To locate APs or Laptops locations
    2. Jamming the APs if possible

Sorry for my english

Quote Originally Posted by H.raz View Post
    2. Jamming the APs if possible
    Jamming is illegal in most civilized countries.
    Thorn
    Stop the TSA now! Boycott the airlines.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
    Jamming is illegal in most civilized countries.
    Yes i know, it just a research.

Objective #1 is my main priority

Basically what i m going to do is that set-up 3-4 APs to pin-point the location of APs and Laptops using a linux-based application. I have no $$ to buy any commercial software to use. Is there anyone can provide me any applications that can be use for my research. I have google everywhere but can't find any suitable application for it.. i just stumbled in backtrack 3 "wicrawl" would it sufficient to use that app?

Very good friend of the forum Virchanza's Avatar

(Post Erased: I mis-read your post and ended up posting something irrelevant)
    Ask questions on the open forums, that way everybody benefits from the solution, and everybody can be corrected when they make mistakes. Don't send me private messages asking questions that should be asked on the open forums, I won't respond. I decline all "Friend Requests".

Just burned his ISO

i just wondering to make/modify an application like ipod touch using skyhook wireless implementation where it can actually tells you the location from point A to B

I just want to make the application to detect the distance between APs and Laptops

e.g.
    WifiDeviceName MAC/ADDR DISTANCE Source AP
    Lappy A 00:02:52:C1:00:20 1.2m LivingRoomAP

Sorry if i make you guys confused ~~

Yes i know, it just a research.
    Then you should understand that asking that is against the rules.

i just wondering to make/modify an application like ipod touch using skyhook wireless implementation where it can actually tells you the location from point A to B

I just want to make the application to detect the distance between APs and Laptops

e.g.
    WifiDeviceName MAC/ADDR DISTANCE Source AP
    Lappy A 00:02:52:C1:00:20 1.2m LivingRoomAP

Sorry if i make you guys confused ~~
    As far as the triangulation, you won't get that kind of accuracy with APs. Actually, you'd be lucky to get +/- 20m.

If you want location accuracy +/- 1m, save your pennies for a GPSr with WAAS.
    Thorn
    Stop the TSA now! Boycott the airlines.

Just burned his ISO

Hey guys i think my question is not answered in some ways, i just wanna what software can i use to detect the location?

In backtrack is there an application that suits my needs [if not, i m thinking creating a simple script to implement] is it possible? please answer me guys

thanks in advance.

Very good friend of the forum Virchanza's Avatar

I'm sure if you search the net for triangulation you'll find the algorithm.

First thing you'd need to do is calibrate your three receivers. For instance, let's say you have three Alfa's. What you wanna do is pick a spot to put them which is a certain distance from an AP (a reliable AP which tends to always transmit at the same power), and measure the power from the AP. Get readings for all three Alfa's separately in the same spot. Make sure you have line of sight to the AP, and also that they're at the same elevation (they don't need to be at the same elevation but it will help with calculations).

Because no three Alfa's are identical, you're gonna get readings that differ slightly. For each Alfa, find out the factor that the signal needs to be multiplied by. Start with 1 for the first Alfa, and list the other two relative to the first one:

Alfa 1: 100%
    Alfa 2: 99.245 %
    Alfa 3: 101.772 %

Next you'll wanna measure the precise distance from the AP to the spot where you had the Alfa's.

That's the calibrating done.

Next you have to take the triangulation algorithm and turn it into source code.

When you actually wanna try figure out the location of an access point, you have to surround it with the three Alfa's and record the power. Tweak the figures according to the calibration you did, and then run the triangulation algorithm to get a location.

I don't think this will work very well though, because it's rare that all three Alfa's would have line of sight to the AP; they might be receiving waves then went through glass or which bounced of walls, so the waves will be less powerful and will screw up the triangulation calculation.

Actually I think I'll go read about triangulation over on Wikipedia, I'd like to know more about it.
    Ask questions on the open forums, that way everybody benefits from the solution, and everybody can be corrected when they make mistakes. Don't send me private messages asking questions that should be asked on the open forums, I won't respond. I decline all "Friend Requests".

Quote Originally Posted by Virchanza View Post
    I'm sure if you search the net for triangulation you'll find the algorithm.

First thing you'd need to do is calibrate your three receivers. For instance, let's say you have three Alfa's. What you wanna do is pick a spot to put them which is a certain distance from an AP (a reliable AP which tends to always transmit at the same power), and measure the power from the AP. Get readings for all three Alfa's separately in the same spot. Make sure you have line of sight to the AP, and also that they're at the same elevation (they don't need to be at the same elevation but it will help with calculations).

Because no three Alfa's are identical, you're gonna get readings that differ slightly. For each Alfa, find out the factor that the signal needs to be multiplied by. Start with 1 for the first Alfa, and list the other two relative to the first one:

Alfa 1: 100%
    Alfa 2: 99.245 %
    Alfa 3: 101.772 %

Next you'll wanna measure the precise distance from the AP to the spot where you had the Alfa's.

That's the calibrating done.

Next you have to take the triangulation algorithm and turn it into source code.

When you actually wanna try figure out the location of an access point, you have to surround it with the three Alfa's and record the power. Tweak the figures according to the calibration you did, and then run the triangulation algorithm to get a location.

I don't think this will work very well though, because it's rare that all three Alfa's would have line of sight to the AP; they might be receiving waves then went through glass or which bounced of walls, so the waves will be less powerful and will screw up the triangulation calculation.

Actually I think I'll go read about triangulation over on Wikipedia, I'd like to know more about it.

For that moment. The readings will change depending on the weather, and other moving objects(people) in the area.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69