Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: RT2870 BT4 Guide (working!!!)

Just burned his ISO

hey guys,

i have a rt2870 chipset as well (edimax ew-7711USn). it's working with ralink's driver quite well (except for packet injection). with the apokalipse driver it does work, but worse (sometimes it doesn't switch to monitor mode properly/i have to run airmon-ng several times) and packet injection doesnt work either. additionally, airmon-ng reports the usb device as Ralink 2560 PCI with rt2500 as its driver.. quite strange behaviour imo and even more strange that it does work.. somehow..
    any idea why it doesnt switch to monitor mode properly and why injection doesnt work? btw: Linux helge 2.6.28-14-generic (Ubuntu)

Just burned his ISO

I am having an issue trying to install the driver suggested for BT3, when i try to install I am getting the following error
    Code:
    /lib/modules/2.6.21.5/build: No such file or directory. Stop.
    Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by apocolipse269 View Post
    one thing you will need to look for are the getter/setter methods for that member variable, the notation "netdev->priv" doesnt require getter and setter methods as it refers to a public variable (changable by someone/thing outside the object), however netdev_priv() being a function i'm going to assume is the getter method (being it will probally return the datatype), find the setter method and you will be better off
    I've updated the driver, added my wireless device information to the header file (ID 050d:935a Belkin Components) and happily compiled, installed and loaded the rt2870sta module against the 2.6.29.4 kernel (BT4 pre-final).

Then the fun starts...
    when I run "iwconfig ra0" i get the following

Code:
    Warning: Driver for device ra0 has been compiled with an ancient version
    of Wireless Extension, while this program support version 11 and later.
    Some things may be broken...

ra0       RT2870 Wireless  ESSID:""  Nickname:"Ϸ"
              Mode:Auto  Frequency=2.412 GHz
              Link Quality=112/0  Signal level:-93 dBm  Noise level:-138 dBm
              Rx invalid nwid:0  invalid crypt:212336640  invalid misc:74912627
    If I ignore the above and execute "airmon-ng start ra0" I receive the error message below. The System also becomes unstable and eventually dies with a not so pretty kernel dump...

Code:
    ra0             Ralink 2560 PCI rt2500/usr/sbin/airmon-ng: line 33: 23825 Segmentation fault      ifconfig $1 up
     (monitor mode enabled)
    Is this the result of poor coding on my side (new to the art of driver "modding"), or something else?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Just burned his ISO

Default randolf heres your link

feargoodies.angelfire.com/nemesis.rar

this is for rainbow randolf and anyone else who cannot find the nemesis driver anymore enjoy! and remember to
    unpack the rar
    copy the folder to your backtrack 2 desktop
    cd Desktop
    cd nemesis
    make && make install

(remember its only for bt2 not bt4!!)
    KABOOM!!

Just burned his ISO

Default Miland3r

Miland3r have you tried ifconfig ra0 instead of iwconfig ra0 ??

Mabo81

very interesting, cheers!

Just burned his ISO

Default bt3 compiler error

hi, i am trying to get the RT2870 working in backtrack 3, using the driver linked to at the top of this thread. (rt2870-2.6.25-hirte.tar.bz2)

when i try to compile it i get the following error:

make && make install

make -C tools
    make[1]: Entering directory `/root/Desktop/rthing/tools'
    gcc -g bin2h.c -o bin2h
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/root/Desktop/rthing/tools'
    /root/Desktop/rthing/tools/bin2h
    cp -f os/linux/Makefile.6 /root/Desktop/rthing/os/linux/Makefile
    make -C /lib/modules/2.6.21.5/build SUBDIRS=/root/Desktop/rthing/os/linux modules
    make: *** /lib/modules/2.6.21.5/build: No such file or directory. Stop.
    make: *** [LINUX] Error 2

is this saying that the file 'build' is not there? it appears to be there.
    any help would be ace. ta very much xxxx

Just burned his ISO

I followed the tutorial but there are a few things that confused me, and I don't claim to be a pro so there's a bit of a warning. When you said to type "nano rt2870.h", I assume you mean you type it in Konsole. But when I do, some disclaimer comes up and there isn't anything to edit. So instead, I simply went to the rt2870.h folder with "common" manually and edited it. The ID for my Dual N-Band Linksys Adapter was 1712:0071 so I just copied one that existed, pressed enter to get to a new line, pasted it, edited the 0x with my device's ID and saved it. When I get to the sudo make install command, after a small wait, it says "Linux Error 2" and I'm still unable to use my device even in Mozilla. I'll be sure to post screenshots but so far is there something I've done wrong?

Just burned his ISO

Exclamation

Great guide apocolipse! But well, it doesn't quite work with bt4 prefinal, and man, that's really too bad

'uname -r' tells me that my bt4pf uses kernel 2.6.29.4 (that's 2.6.27+ isn't it?).
    Anywayz, when following all steps in your guide, the compiler returned with "make: *** [LINUX] Error 2".

I created this thread in the bt4pf "NON working hardware" section: hxxp://forums.remote-exploit.org/backtrack-4-non-working-hardware/27630-ralink-rt2870-issues-bt4pf-linksys-wusb600n.html

If anyone knows a solution or can make the old drivers work with bt4pf, I (and probably a lot of people with me) would be really greatfull.

I'm looking forward to moving the thread I created over at the "NON working hardware" section to the "working hardware" section.

Thanks in advance y'all!!!

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by safv6 View Post
    Great guide apocolipse! But well, it doesn't quite work with bt4 prefinal, and man, that's really too bad

'uname -r' tells me that my bt4pf uses kernel 2.6.29.4 (that's 2.6.27+ isn't it?).
    Anywayz, when following all steps in your guide, the compiler returned with "make: *** [LINUX] Error 2".

I created this thread in the bt4pf "NON working hardware" section: hxxp://forums.remote-exploit.org/backtrack-4-non-working-hardware/27630-ralink-rt2870-issues-bt4pf-linksys-wusb600n.html

If anyone knows a solution or can make the old drivers work with bt4pf, I (and probably a lot of people with me) would be really greatfull.

I'm looking forward to moving the thread I created over at the "NON working hardware" section to the "working hardware" section.

Thanks in advance y'all!!!
    So you think it's an issue with BT4-Prefinal? Because that's sort of a relief. I was hoping I didn't do anything wrong. My previous post, I said I had the same issue with the Linux Error.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast