Thread: Switching from lilo to GRUB

Just burned his ISO

Default Switching from lilo to GRUB

First off, I'm posting here because I can't seem to post anywhere but here and my 3 days is long up.

I have scoured the 'nets looking for an answer for this and have yet to find it.

A friend of mine imaged a USB drive for me that had BT3 with syslinux bootloader on it. I used the old official BT "Install to Hard drive' tutorial to make my partitions on my hard drive, then I used a thread in these forums to actually copy the files over. So now I have BT3 booting off my HDD. with lilo as the bootloader.

What I want to do is use GRUB to dual boot OSX and BT3, with OSX being the default OS if I don't choose one. (Like if I turn the computer on and leave the room, OSX will boot automatically after the timeout)

The instructions I used to copy BT3 to my HDD instructed me to use lilo. That is what I have now. It's annoying because I have to login and type 'startx' to get in. I do not have to do this on my flash drive. I want to use GRUB instead because it actually supports OSX through pc_efi. So I have not found one straightforward tutorial for doing this. I understand it may be complex, but all the tutorials are talking about stage1 and stage2 files, which I don't have on my flash drive or computer and have been unable to find a download for.

So my questions:
    1) Is there a way to directly copy everything just as-is on my flash drive to my hard drive? If so how do I switch from syslinux to GRUB?

2) If question 1 is not possible, how do I switch from lilo to GRUB in BT3?

Thank you for all your help

Quote Originally Posted by nevarDeath View Post
    First off, I'm posting here because I can't seem to post anywhere but here and my 3 days is long up.

Everyone -
    Always contact a member of the forum staff if you experience any problems accessing/using the forum

........... I used the old official BT "Install to Hard drive' tutorial to make my partitions on my hard drive, then I used a thread in these forums to actually copy the files over. So now I have BT3 booting off my HDD........
    But then.....
    .......So my questions:
    1) Is there a way to directly copy everything just as-is on my flash drive to my hard drive? If so how do I switch from syslinux to GRUB?..........
    Maybe I'm just reading this wrongly - I thought you already *have* BT3 on your hdd already??

2) If question 1 is not possible, how do I switch from lilo to GRUB in BT3?
    Just d/l and install/configure Grub and it will overwrite the sector where Lilo is, becoming the default boot manager.

What I want to do is use GRUB to dual boot OSX and BT3, with OSX being the default OS if I don't choose one. (Like if I turn the computer on and leave the room, OSX will boot automatically after the timeout)
    Just change the "default = n" number in the grub.conf file.
    You can also use grub-set-default 1 (or whichever hdd number required)

.......It's annoying because I have to login and type 'startx' to get in. .......
    You can change the run level you boot into by default.
    Edit inittab and choose runlevel 4 (graphical, X11, etc) instead of the default runlevel 3 (console)

Just burned his ISO

Thank you for the quick response!

Quote Originally Posted by Re@lity View Post

Everyone -
    Always contact a member of the forum staff if you experience any problems accessing/using the forum
    Yeah sorry I was a little frustrated and not thinking about that. I will take care of that the proper way

Maybe I'm just reading this wrongly - I thought you already *have* BT3 on your hdd already??
    You didn't read it wrong. I do have BT3 booting off the HDD, but I was hoping to make it boot off the HDD as it does my flash drive, with the graphical syslinux bootloader. It also includes the option for gparted live instead of bt3, which is nice. Also missing the shutdown and restart options from the "Log Out" menu in bt3 that are present when I boot from my flash drive. Between now and my last post I have discovered GRUB is the only thing I can boot OSX from, so I don't really care about that anymore.

Just d/l and install/configure Grub and it will overwrite the sector where Lilo is, becoming the default boot manager.
    This is what I didn't get. Everywhere I go, people say "Download grub and install it" I couldn't find which version and where to download from. Apparently I needed 5 hours of googling and reading instead of 3, because I finally figured that out

Just change the "default = n" number in the grub.conf file.
    You can also use grub-set-default 1 (or whichever hdd number required)
    I am unable to find grub.conf on my computer. I searched for it. I also googled for the default location. I cannot find it. I've also seen mention of a menu.lst file. I don't have that either. I have nothing in /boot/ except what I put in there for pc_efi. I have nothing in /etc/ that's called grub. The weird thing is when I'm at the grub command line, just out of frustration I typed "cat /boot/grub/menu.lst" and there it is, but when I go into BT3, it doesn't show. I believe this has something to do with the fact I installed GRUB to the MBR instead of to my bt3 install. I didn't think it would boot if I didn't install GRUB to the MBR though. I don't see anyway to edit it from the grub command line.

You can change the run level you boot into by default.
    Edit inittab and choose runlevel 4 (graphical, X11, etc) instead of the default runlevel 3 (console)
    THANK YOU FOR THIS! I had no idea! It worked perfectly and gave me back the shutdown and restart options on the log out menu

So like I mentioned, now I have grub installed, but have to type
    root (hd0,2)
    kernel /boot/pc_efi/boot_v8
    boot

for OSX and the equivalent for BT3. If anyone could help me figure out how to edit that silly menu.lst file, I would be most appreciative, just cannot find it once I'm in bt3.

Once you've installed Grub you will need to configure it too.

You can install a bootloader to the hdd's boot sector or you can install it to a partition.

It is also possible (although not *very* common) to install multiple bootloaders and do what's called "chain-loading", whereby one bootloader points to a default OS and also another bootloader. This used to be necessary in some situations when certain OS's were mixed.

A simple example of chain-loading: Boot PC ---> loads NTLDR (WIndows bootloader) --->boot menu selection ---> "WinXP or Linux" ---> select "Linux" ---> loads Lilo bootloader from Linux partition.

But anyway, that's separate issue

Here's a little documentation about FromLiloToGrub - GRUB Wiki

And here's some fairly extensive information about Grub

It sounds to me like you've just installed, but not configured Grub yet

By the way, for clarities sake, check if you are using Grub or Grub2

Once you have Grub working correctly, you can then play around with getting a nice animated splash screen