Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: BT4beta GNOME edition

Just burned his ISO

Thanks for the great tutorial, trying this now. KDE is so non-intuitive, Gnome is much better.

Thanks for sharing.

Just burned his ISO imported_gr8gorilla's Avatar

Default bt4 xfce

Ok,

after my post last week I tried what everyone else here tried and got the same results, obviously the script does not work as is, so I have been doing some googling to try to figure out how to add the bt4 items to the menu. Here is what I have found....

Add an application

You have to create a .desktop file (usually in /usr/share/applications for system wide or ~/.local/share/applications for your user) for the application you want to add.

In the following example, we create an entry in the menu with the name “foo” in the submenu “Multimedia”:

[Desktop Entry]
    Encoding=UTF-8
    Name=foo
    GenericName=bar
    Comment=Senseless program ever
    Exec=foobar
    Icon=/usr/share/pixmaps/foobar.xpm
    Terminal=false
    Type=Application
    Categories=Multimedia;

that is from the xfc4 wiki, which I am sure everyone here is familiar with. The other thing that could be helpful is the ability to use the Gnome menu in Xfce.

Ie.. If you want to use the new menu from GNOME, with quick starters for favorites applications and such, you can use the xfapplet panel plugin with the GNOME main menu applet. The menu should be installed with your package system, look for gnome-main-menu. Xfce screenshot, video.

Add a new xfapplet item inside your panel, and open its properties dialog to add the GNOME menu applet.

If you don't like GNOME main menu, try Ubuntu System Panel, available in several distributions.

Not sure if any of this information is helpful at all but I have not had a lot of time to work on this as I have been very busy at work. I want to help and if anyone has any suggestions for anything I can do I will try.

I understand that part of the problem is the commands dont work in the native xfce terminal.....

Correct me if I am wrong, but shouldn't it be possible to to just "create" a menu for xfce using xml and use the correct commands to run the backtrack tools within the menu?

) Copy Xfce’s default menu into your home folder:

cp /etc/xdg/xfce4/desktop/menu.xml ~/.config/xfce4/desktop/menu.xml

Here’s an overview of how the code works:

<xfdesktop-menu></xfdesktop-menu>: You need these! Otherwise, the menu is not loaded.

<app name="Name in menu" cmd="Command to run" term="false" icon="iconfile" snotify="false" visible="true" />:

To add a shortcut to an application, use <app>.

name tells the menu what the name of your shortcut is.

cmd says what is launched when you click the shortcut.

If you want a shortcut icon, put the full filename of the icon under iconfile.

snotify sets whether or not the program supports startup notification. (You can probably leave this to false.)

visibility tells the menu whether you want to see this shortcut or not. You should leave it to true.

<separator /> : Adds a separator between shortcut items.

<menu name="Name in menu" icon="iconfile" visible="true"></menu> :

This acts the same as app. However, this creates a menu, where you can put more shortcut items within. Make sure that you put </menu> afterwards when you are done!

<title name="Name in menu" icon="iconfile" visible="true" /> : Adds a title to the top of your menu (Where it currently says “Desktop Menu”).

<include type="file" src="menu2.xml" visible="true" /> : Allows you to add another menu file within a menu file. Under src, put the filename of this menu. This can serve as a backup in case one goes corrupt.

<include type="system" style="simple" unique="true" visible="true" /> : This code allows you to put in the system-generated menu. Use this if you want your menu file to be automatically updated when you install a new program.

<!-- 'comment' --> :
    Use this to add comments within your menu. This will not show up in the menu. Obviously, replace ‘comment’ with your own comments.

2) Edit the menu:

mousepad ~/.config/xfce4/desktop/menu.xml

Of course once again I have just copied text from the wiki.....

Developer

You are missing the point entirely. We know how to make a .desktop file, what we are trying to do is open an command line file in a shell and have it stay there like we do with kde.

For example when you select nmap from the kde menu it executes nmap -h: sudo -s and then the terminal remains open.

Just burned his ISO imported_gr8gorilla's Avatar

Ok,
    I have also noticed this problem, when you run the command from the xfce menu it closes the terminal upon execution. However if you run the command by hand from the terminal it works fine.....correct?

It seems that if I go to the pentest folder and choose a program to run, that it works from there, so the question is how to make it work from menu.

Part of my last was taking that into account because you have the option of using the Gnome menu in xfce, although like I said I am not sure if that would work, because I didn't check to see if it uses the actual Gnome menu or just lists from Gnome, so any way just a few thoughts....

Just burned his ISO

dont work for me... the menu just show maltego... other tools are gone.... im useing b4 pre release.

edit --

im use gnome-desktop

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234