Thread: Another Blackscreen problem

Unhappy Another Blackscreen problem

Hello everyone,

I recently installed BT4 beta via DVD image and the installation went perfectly well. I just ran into a few headaches that seem to have bothered me:

After the install, I rebooted my system and logged in via root/toor. However when i invoke startx all i get is a black screen. I am able to ctrl+alt+F1 back to the console but thats pretty much it.

My specs are as follows:

Screen:
    Dell 2707WFP (Widescreen Flat Panel)
    Processor:
    Intel Core 2 Dup 2.66GHz / 10ggMHz / 4MB L2 / Dual core
    Graphics card:
    nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS 640MB PCIe Card
    Memory:
    2GB 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM Memory (2 DIMMS)
    HD:
    2x 160GB SATA 10K RPM

I read a lot of the other threads here and in other sites concerning the same problem and I am still stumped. I also read archangel.amael's guide to setting up xorgconfig for monitors to "see what you are doing" but whenever I invoke the xorgconfig command it says:

-bash: xorgconfig: command not found

I also looked into the xconf file and found it was empty (?) I saw a few other guides point to it as a case of fixing display issues when loading the KDE environment.

I know it has to be a graphics card

Any help on this issue would be much appreciated as I spent the last 6 and a half hours trying to figure it out. But I dont plan on giving up.

Thank you,
    dot_Cipher

Just burned his ISO

Read the Xorg man pages:

man Xorg

Is this the command you are looking for?

Xorg -configure

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dot_Cipher View Post
    I also read archangel.amael's guide to setting up xorgconfig for monitors to "see what you are doing" but whenever I invoke the xorgconfig command it says:
    That was because the guide you read was for bt3 or maybe even bt2 but it was not for bt4.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

If reconfiguring it doesn't help, check the log file (/var/log/xorg.log?) and paste the error(s) you're getting........

Install its compatible Nvidia linux driver from Nvidia website.before running startx install it from shell only then automatically the installer will configure xorg for you.also follow what reality told.the more you analyze,the more you could able to solve the errors.

Yep fixed it, thank you all for your awesome help. I was running without an Ethernet connection so I ended up having to download the drivers then put them on a flash drive then copy them over to the root in sda3 via livecd then access it from my shells menu.

Now I have to figure out how to get it to detect my wireless card... would using madwifi work with DWA-556 in this case? I would just have to borrow a 50ft ethernet cord to plug in from my wireless router and then use that connection to temporarily set it up with sudo apt-get install commands.

Let me know if this would be the right track.

Thanks again,
    dot_Cipher