Thread: Networking project

Default Networking project

Hello, I am curently taking a networking class and am trying to come up with a good networking project. I have cracked wep and wpa a million times using BT3 so I don't think that would be all that interesting. However I am thinking of doing somthing with bluetooth. Here are the 2 I deas I currently have and here is my question.
    Idea 1: write a driver that will comunicate with a wiimote in Linux
    (I know ..not BackTrack related)

Idea 2: Do somthing with "Car Whisperer"
    Would This be a very expencive school project Dongle, Antenna, and Hands free car kit? or would I beable to pick up most of what I need Hardware wise fairly cheap on ebay? Also If I do decide to do this does anyone know what Model hands free car blue tooth kits and vulnerable to this type of attack and if I can aquire one cheaply on ebay?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Upsman View Post
    Would This be a very expencive school project Dongle, Antenna, and Hands free car kit?
    The dongle could be had for less than $60. If you get a Class I Bluetooth device, you don't need to use an antenna, especially if you're not using it in anything besides a demo. A Class I devices will transmit ~100m, using the built-in antenna that comes with the device. The Linksys BT100 is a Class I device and can be found for ~$50-$60 USD.

Also If I do decide to do this does anyone know what Model hands free car blue tooth kits and vulnerable to this type of attack...
    Check the Trifinite.org site.

... and if I can aquire one cheaply on ebay?
    You do understand that the device is built into the car, right? The device is free, but the car will cost you $25000.
    Thorn
    Stop the TSA now! Boycott the airlines.

Default bluetooth

I thought I could bye an aftermarket device that did not come with the car that would also be vulnerable like the built in ones. I was under the impression they had kits to equip cars that do not have the hands free device from the factory? If it is true that I cant just get some aftermarket kit and must have a car with it in it already I think I am out of luck and better find another project.

I thought I could bye an aftermarket device that did not come with the car that would also be vulnerable like the built in ones. I was under the impression they had kits to equip cars that do not have the hands free device from the factory? If it is true that I cant just get some aftermarket kit and must have a car with it in it already I think I am out of luck and better find another project.
    There might be some aftermarket device that is vulnerable, but my recollection was that the original project was aimed at built-in devices like the one that came with the Toyota Prius, which was wide open. You'd have to research it to find an aftermaket device. My suggestion would be to check the Trifinite.org site, and see what they said in detail. You might also be willing to find a friend who owns a vulnerable vehicle, and use it for your class project.
    Thorn
    Stop the TSA now! Boycott the airlines.

Default thanks

Thanks,
    Yeah I know that the lexus one also was wide open (same device). Basically I was just thinking of the aftermarket one for atainability and portability, and basically say this is what happens and it also can happen to the built in devices as well.

I will do some research tonight. Otherwise I will either do my wiimote idea or maby some sort of packet capture / analyzing program.

Exclamation

Sorry to **ss on your fireworks, but there's already wii drivers too

MOVED

ADMIN EDIT:
    Moved from the "How-to's & Guides" section.
    This is neither a "how-to" or a "guide" - it's a question!
    (FYI: The accepted use of the phrase "how-to" in as an intended step-by-step guide of how to do something)

Default i know but

i know but it would be a fun to write my own...

i know but it would be a fun to write my own...
    Fair enough

Although sometimes Linux suffers from too many people trying to reinvent the same old wheel.
    It's always more beneficial to everyone to try to work on something that isn't already covered by its own community of developers - or at least make sure that you contribute any improvements back into the existing development community

Why don't you try to develop something for the BackTrack community!?