Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: BackTrack 4 Network Manager

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    No. If you want networking to start at boot use Ubuntu. Backtrack is a pentesting distribution, if you don't know why we don't want networking loaded at boot, maybe this isn't the one you should use.
    I know why you don't want to start up the net at boot but I've installed BT on my hard and managed to make for daily use so when i want to use bt for pentesting I'll simple stop all net processes.

I've added NM to start at boot with this code:

Code:
    update-rc.d NetworkManager defaults
    By the way BT is my favorite Linux distribution from now

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by hinoshori View Post
    i believe you have to make sure that firstly the card isnt being used by any other application

then type "networkmanager start" in console
    finally a strait forward answer to a question ive been asking. This might be a big help.

Just burned his ISO

Greetings* well i just tryed out those less commands and now im pretty annoyed of the update-rc.d NetworkManager defaults ^^ how can i undo this action?
    anyhow wicd aint really working for me (it scans and shows AP's around but i tryed to connect to my router and it never got connected so i changed from WPA TKIP PSK to WEP SKA to WEP OPN and even hex/passphrases i checked a few times)
    im bored of wicd so i want to use the good old handwork to get connected to any AP.
    hope that theres something like an undo command for the "update-rc.d NetworkManager defaults" cmd-line

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Syph0n View Post
    hope that theres something like an undo command for the "update-rc.d NetworkManager defaults" cmd-line
    Try here: http://wiki.linuxquestions.org/wiki/Update-rc.d
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Just burned his ISO

Default thx a lot!

well for me it was the "sudo update-rc.d wicd remove" cmd before starting X that worked pretty fine. funny as i saw then another possibility to get wicd running without typing the commandlines to start networking ^^
    check the startmenu go to 'Services/NETWORK/Start NETWORK' theres also a stop option ^^ for those who are lazy in typing all those cmd's down i guess this will be a fast handling at all. (don't forget to start wicd after)
    working fine for the pre final release of bt4!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12