Thread: Dell Inspiron 1525 Compatibility?

Just burned his ISO

Default Dell Inspiron 1525 Compatibility?

Is the Dell Inspiron 1525 compatible? Ubuntu loaded fine and I had all the drivers automatically work.

Update: Everything installed fine, but Backtrack didn't recognize any of my network drivers.

Help?

From the wiki, i've gathered that my wireless card should be compatible.

Quote Originally Posted by Geniro View Post
    Update: Everything installed fine, but Backtrack didn't recognize any of my network drivers.

Help?
    No one can help you if you don't let us know what is wrong. Just saying that backtrack "didn't recognize any of my network drivers" does not mean anything to any of us.

Consider telling us the steps you have taken, and any error messages you have seen, as well as the results of commands you have entered to see the status of the cards.

I also strongly suggest searching the forums, because I have a suspicion that your "network drivers" are fine, but you don't know how to use them yet.

Just burned his ISO

Well, how do I activate my Broadcom driver? Someone on the chat told me a console code yesterday, although BT didn't seem to recognize it.

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Well, how do I activate my Broadcom driver? Someone on the chat told me a console code yesterday, although BT didn't seem to recognize it.
    How about you stop being so vague. If you want serious help please be specific. Your above post/s really tell us nothing.
    Chipset model fcc id, commands used, etc are good bits of info.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Just burned his ISO

Honestly, I'm a linux newb, be kind to me and don't expect that I know what you were talking about :|

I have a broadcom 4312 wireless driver, which the wiki says is compatible. No commands have been used, and I don't know many console codes to begin with, which is why i'm asking what codes I could type in :|

Just burned his ISO

Honestly, I'm a linux newb, be kind to me and don't expect that I know what you were talking about :|

I have a broadcom 4312 wireless driver, which the wiki says is compatible. No commands have been used, and I don't know many console codes to begin with, which is why i'm asking what codes I could type in :|
    I have bt4 running smoothly on my Dell Inspiron 1525. I had the same issues with the BCM4312 802.11b/g (rev 01).

I was gonna tell you how to get it working but kazalku has a great tut on it allready. Look under BT4beta Working Hardware / Dell Studio 15 - 1397 (broadcom chipset), in this forum.

If you are a linux noob, why are you using backtrack?

Linux is an awesome operating system, but it has a very steep learning curve. Ubuntu is a MUCH better choice for a beginner when compared to backtrack.

Backtrack is designed for penetration testers. Anyone who is competent with Backtrack is expected to understand the Linux basics. Ubuntu is designed for people who are expected to not understand the Linux basics.

I am not trying to discourage you from learning Linux, or learning backtrack - but why are you making it so hard on yourself by choosing a specifically designed distro right out of the gate?

What is your end objective with backtrack? Why did you pick it as an OS? I am not trying to pick on you here, but you are falling flat on some of the really basic stuff, so I have to ask why you chose this path in the first place.