Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu to BackTrack in a few easy steps

Just burned his ISO

Default Ubuntu with BackTrack software (not recommended)

After discovering that Backtrack was accessing Ubuntu intrepid Repositories, I decided to add Backtrack Repositories to Ubuntu.

Instructions for Gnome or Terminal, take your pick.
    I apologize for the need to modify the 'code' tag links because I am under 15 posts.

Please read pureh@te's response to this before continuing

GNOME:
    To do this in Gnome:
    Goto System > Administration > Software Sources
    Click on the Third-Party Software tab and then on Add

Insert this line and hit Add Source:
    Please add http and :// right before repo.
    Code:
    deb repo.offensive-security.com/dist/bt4 binary/

You may have to check the box next to the newly added repository and you will have to Reload your Package Information.

Close that out and reload your package info by hitting Reload when a box comes up stating that your software info is out-of-date.
    Goto END

TERM:
    To do this in the terminal, add this line to the end of /etc/apt/sources.list
    Code:
    deb repo.offensive-security.com/dist/bt4 binary/
    Then run 'sudo apt-get update' to update your repo info.
    Goto END

END:
    You may now apt-get any backtrack package as you would any ubuntu package.

Issues I have had are that a key is missing for accessing repo.offensive-security.com packages, but I have installed the latest nmap from there. I'm not sure if this causes any actual problems other than a message each time you reload your repo's.

The Error:
    Code:
    W: GPG error: repo.offensive-security.com binary/ Release: 
    The following signiture couldn't be verified because the 
    public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY 720DB78AC5717CD1

Developer

Just so every one knows a few things:
    1. The new backtrack repo is maintained by the developers at their expense. I know most people could care less about this but please keep in mind the sheer size of the ubuntu community and what will happen if every moron with a copy of ubuntu starts leeching and updating of our repo every day. Chances are it will start to suck at best and fail completely at worst. Keep in mind that remote exploit gets a few thousand in donations compared to 4 million downloads which is pretty pathetic.

2. The backtrack repo is in a extreme beta stage. We as a team do NOT recommend adding them to your mainstream ubuntu distro and we will... I repeat will not give support at this time to people who do so. You have been warned.

Chances are the repo will be completely revamped for bt4 final anyway so most likely its a waste of time.

I hope stuff like that won't make the devs regret that they switched from Slax to Ubuntu.

I like it and I know to appreciate it.

Just keep in mind Backtrack is Backtrack and Ubuntu is Ubuntu. Don't try to make Backtrack out of Ubuntu.
    Tiocfaidh ár lá

Just burned his ISO

I'm just trying to save users (myself) that already use Ubuntu the need to switch from one to the other. It saves space as well. Yes, I understand that this is Backtrack and not Ubuntu, but if they work together then that's less dualbooting that I need to do.

I don't mean to take away from Backtrack or make one of the other, but It's a convenience thing for me.

Good friend of the forums

Descention,

adding the repo is like adding a spoiler to your car - the engine will be the same...

What I'm trying to say is, that much work has been done on the core of the system, and very little is actually in the repo.

So you add the repo, and it adds a bunch of tools to your menu. You could have done it yourself, but you just can't do the same amount of work they did on the core, the kernel, etc etc etc... don't waste your time.

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Descention View Post
    I'm just trying to save users (myself) that already use Ubuntu the need to switch from one to the other. It saves space as well. Yes, I understand that this is Backtrack and not Ubuntu, but if they work together then that's less dualbooting that I need to do.
    The problem is , is that not to many people are going to jump up and down with excitement about your need save disk space. Gigabytes are cheap these days.
    [code]
    I don't mean to take away from Backtrack or make one of the other, but It's a convenience thing for me.[/QUOTE]
    This statement is really a contradiction. Because as pure|hate stated the dev's don't make tons of money off of this. Not to mention they have to host forums and websites were thousands of people come and ask the same questions over and over without the least bit of concern with this fact.
    Ubuntu on the other hand is a totally different ballgame. So in reality anything else than contributing to BT4 in some way takes away from it.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Very good friend of the forum drgr33n's Avatar

Not to menion that this post is in the how to section ??? lol

Just burned his ISO

Alright, I understand. So, what should I do about this post then? Should I take down the instructions?

Developer

Quote Originally Posted by Descention View Post
    Alright, I understand. So, what should I do about this post then? Should I take down the instructions?
    No you dont have to. I was going to delete it but I had a word with the devs and since this kind of thing was inevitable we decided to leave it up. Thats why I made the few points I did instead of taking it down. Just dont come to us when one of the packages breaks your whole ubuntu install because it was built with the backtrack kernel and our own custom gcc options

Wow! So I can install Ubuntu and add the repo and it will patch all my drivers, add menus, add all the pentest tools that I want but wont need to have in a everyday distro and could potentialy give someone who doesn't know what they are doing the tools to wreck a network.

Cheers. This is not an Ubuntu forum.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast