Thread: Ubiquity Install Problems

Hybrid View

Just burned his ISO

Default Ubiquity Install Problems

Hey,
    I'm trying to get BT4 installed locally. I watched the video about using Ubiquity to do it. However, it appears that they lied. It said that they booted to the CD, and then just typed Ubiquity and it worked. Not true.

First, Ubiquity is not found on the ISO, in memory or anywhere else. You have to do an apt-get install to get Ubiquity working. Then of course, you run into the issue where Ubiquity crashes when it can't set the language.
    (problem described here: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ubiquity/+bug/189193 )

Now being a Linux/Ubuntu n00b I am having trouble in two areas. First, when you boot to the iso, there is no /media/cdrom mounted on a physical machine, or on a Virtual Box machine (tried VMWare and Virtual PC 07 as well, same results). So you can't just point Ubiquity to the source files it needs. Additionally I also can't fine the .../casper/filesystem.squashfs stuff to mount on /var/lib/ubiquity/source anywhere either.

Since one of the alternative ways to get Ubiquity to work is to run it from the cdrom rather than manually mount the above files, it would be good if Ubiquity was actually included on the bootable iso so you could run it from the cdrom.

Can anyone tell me how to either, find and mount the filesystem.squashfs, or magically run Ubiquity from the 'cdrom' iso?

Thanks
    HW

They are not lies at all, the video and installation method is not for the beta version.
    The video is for the informer pre release version which will be available for general release sometime soon.

For now you will have to use the manual install method described in this pdf

Has anybody tried installing ubiquity?
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by balding_parrot View Post
    They are not lies at all, the video and installation method is not for the beta version.
    The video is for the informer pre release version which will be available for general release sometime soon.

For now you will have to use the manual install method described in this pdf
    Ok. I wasn't aware of the PDF. I'll work through that. This is why we play with Beta's, an urge for new tech, and a masochistic inner child. (yes I have tried installing Ubiquity. Works well from the installer, except for the noted problem).

Cool I'll try the PDF instructions. Can't wait for the release.

Just burned his ISO

Default I've tried the installer, but it doesn't work

When I tried installing it using Ubiquity, I encountered this little problem. When I get to the part where I'm supposed to partition the disk, nothing shows up in the list at all Anyone familiar with this problem? It's kind of annoying, as I can't get past this point.
    Or is this something I just have to wait for? I use the Beta version for now.
    Btw, anyone know when the pre-final will be available to us "others"?

Quote Originally Posted by HackWraith View Post
    This is why we play with Beta's, an urge for new tech, and a masochistic inner child.
    Isn't out of the box boring? Isn't that what also is included in the term hacking? To get stuff going which is harder to achieve?
    Tiocfaidh ár lá

Just burned his ISO

I had the same problem with pre-final this time. Installation was going to end and then crashed, i forgot to save logs but somewhere i found that problem may be hd. My solution was to install bt4 with ubiquity on different partition. Now it works fine. So check your disk under any live cd or win, try other parts of your disk and then run ubiquity. I also found and tried all tricks you wrote, but it didn't work at all.

Regards.