Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: no ath0 in iwconfig

Just burned his ISO

Just so you know, I as well just bought an Edimax EW7318USg from Newegg. I cannot get it to work as well.

I have tried all previous steps as well as these:

Code:
    After several failed attempts to get my Edimax EW-7318USg wireless USB adapter recognized in Linux using the RT73 enhanced drivers (3.0.3), I finally realized the USB device ID was not listed where it should have been in the file rtmp_def.h with the rest of the RT73-based devices. Edimax must have changed the ID fairly recently because I was hardly able to find anyone who reported having trouble with this device aside from one particular forum topic which was of little help.

After updating rtmp_def.h and recompiling the driver, the device was then recognized as expected.  If you are experiencing a similar problem with this adapter, try the following:

Disconnect the adapter and remove the existing kernel module:

modprobe -r rt73

Add the new device ID to the bottom of rtmp_def.h in the VID/PID area:

/* Edimax EW-7318USg */\
    {USB_DEVICE(0x7392,0x7318)},\

Recompile and install the driver (as root):

make && make install

Add the module back:

modprobe rt73

After reconnecting the device, the dmesg command should now show the device as being registered by the RT73 driver. Note that this was after blacklisting the rt73usb and rt2570 drivers.
    but my usb wireless dongle is still not being detected by BT4 (or even the Aircrack VM). Something is different between the "new" and the old cards.

Can anyone help troubleshoot it?

Thanks!

-SF

Just burned his ISO

I have fixed this problem and will create a step-by-step for fellow n00bs to follow shortly.

-SF

Just burned his ISO

Default Edimax EW-7318USg recently changed USB device ID

If your Edimax EW-7318USg does not work, and you know you are doing everything correctly.

Follow these steps:
    electricshaman.com/2009/07/17/edimax-ew-7318usg/

(Add http and www in the front)

This is due to Edimax changing the USB device ID for EW-7318USg. It happened pretty recently. You just need to add the new device ID into rtmp_def.h and recompile with "make" then "make install".

Be sure to remove your dongle before modprobe, and reconnect it afterwards.

Hope it help.

Just burned his ISO

Hi Guys. I am a noob and am trying to follow the electric shaman advice but I don't understand how to Add the new device ID to the bottom of rtmp_def.h in the VID/PID area:

/* Edimax EW-7318USg */\
    {USB_DEVICE(0x7392,0x7318)},\

What steps are needed to do this? Where do I plug in this command? I have the edimax 7318usg bought recently from newegg as well. I appreciate your help. When I type in iwconfig I get the no wireless devices found. Anyone create a step by step for this yet?

Just burned his ISO

Default alright previous question stupid!

When I plug in the command
    bt ~ # /* EW-7318USg */\
    > {USB_DEVICE(0x7392,0x7318)},\
    -sh: syntax error near unexpected token `('

Why do I get a syntax error? Thanks for your help!

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by ascasey View Post
    When I plug in the command
    bt ~ # /* EW-7318USg */\
    > {USB_DEVICE(0x7392,0x7318)},\
    -sh: syntax error near unexpected token `('

Why do I get a syntax error? Thanks for your help!
    open rtmp_def.h with kwrite or something else., in the VID/PID area (at the buttom of the file) click starting of the first line and press enter. then copy-past /* EW-7318USg */\
    > {USB_DEVICE(0x7392,0x7318)},\ as it shown. be sure it looks like the lines written under.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123