Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: no ath0 in iwconfig

You could also use PXE to boot on your machine, that is assuming you have another machine you can temporarily boot bt4 on to act as the PXE server.

See here
    Back|Track LiveCD Blog: Booting BackTrack 4 over the network (PXE or Net Boot CD)

I would advise you to start a new clean install of the backtrack 3, download the kernel source from http://www.offensive-security.com/modules/kernel.lzm
    go where you downloaded the source and type:
    Code:
    bt tmp # lzm2dir kernel.lzm /
    then go to rt73 [Aircrack-ng] and follow the instructions from there(downloading, compiling and loading driver module) or follow this quick steps:

Code:
    wget http://homepages.tu-darmstadt.de/~p_larbig/wlan/rt73-k2wrlz-3.0.3.tar.bz2
    tar -xjf rt73-k2wrlz-3.0.3.tar.bz2
    cd rt73-k2wrlz-3.0.3/Module
    make
    then, as root, type:
    Code:
    make install
    modprobe rt73
    and then after the boot if all works fine your Edimax EW-7318USG should show up under "rausb0" name.
    I have the same usb dongle and for me it worked with these steps. Good Luck!

Originally Posted by KMDave: You could also install BT4 on a USB stick and use that with the laptop. It should have a free USB port doesn't it?
    I assume if he has only CD drive on the laptop it doesn't support usb booting(it may be an older one)
    Great minds have purposes, others have wishes

erhardm- I followed the exact steps you outlined, but doesn't work.
    After you typed "modprobe rt73", you said "after the boot" it should show up, but obviously you can't reboot after loading rt73, so essentially you are saying that after the modprobe command, you can see the wireless device by typing ifconfig? And that only shows "lo" and "eth0" for me.

Also: I tried the dvd BT4 on a different computer and the modprobe command told me rt73 not found, so apparently the driver isn't yet included in BT4

Either I have a bad dongle, or a new version of the dongle that isn't Linux compatible? (since it works in XP).

Quote Originally Posted by redss View Post
    erhardm- I followed the exact steps you outlined, but doesn't work.
    After you typed "modprobe rt73", you said "after the boot" it should show up, but obviously you can't reboot after loading rt73, so essentially you are saying that after the modprobe command, you can see the wireless device by typing ifconfig? And that only shows "lo" and "eth0" for me.

Also: I tried the dvd BT4 on a different computer and the modprobe command told me rt73 not found, so apparently the driver isn't yet included in BT4

Either I have a bad dongle, or a new version of the dongle that isn't Linux compatible? (since it works in XP).
    That driver is only going to load if you plug the device in, so modprobing an unloaded driver of course isnt going to give you any results.
    Using backtrack for the first time is like being 10 years old again with the keys to a Ferrari.

Well of course the dongle is plugged in when I do the modprobe, and in fact lsmod even lists the driver as loaded, although there is a 0 in the "used by" column. However no ath0 or rausb0 in ifconfig.

So a question is: does the fact that lsmod shows the module as loaded mean anything?

you can see the wireless device by typing ifconfig? And that only shows "lo" and "eth0" for me.
    "Small details make the difference":
    I'm not an expert and I may be wrong but only typing "ifconfig" will not show the wireless card. Typing "ifconfig -a" it will show all NICs. Try typing "iwconfig" and it will show only the wireless NICs

At least at my BT4b VMware machine is so!

does the fact that lsmod shows the module as loaded mean anything?
    It means iwconfig to find the name of the wireless device which is rausb0 i think.

then

ifconfig rausb0 up
    airmon-ng start rausb0 .. for monitor mode

thats in bt4 fyi .. and sorry for this being so painful
    Using backtrack for the first time is like being 10 years old again with the keys to a Ferrari.

after properly booting attach that dongle to machine.it cant be ath0 as ath0 uses for atheros based chipsets.it will be rausb0.its rt73 chipset based card and fully supported.if after attaching the card you are not able to detect it through iwconfig then
    modprobe -r rt73
    modprobe rt73
    one more thing these commands are applicable for only backtrack 3.
    for backtrack 4
    modprobe rt73usb
    modprobe -r rt73usb
    if things are not working properly then there may be fault in ure usb dongle.

Just burned his ISO

This Error that you are having seems to be happening to a couple of people including me.

[In Ubuntu]The non-working lsusb output is
    Bus 008 Device 002: ID 7392:7318

The working
    Bus 002 Device 003: ID 148f:2573 Ralink Technology, Corp. RT2501USB Wireless Adapter

I've been looking into this on the Ubuntu fourms.
    Google:
    [ubuntu] Edimax EW-7318Usg USB wireless driver installation
    [ubuntu] Edimax EW-7318USg | PluginPlay? Is Mine broken?
    Sorry can't link yet(under 15 posts...)

Did you buy the card from newegg? How long ago did you buy the card?

I sent an email to Edimax explaining the differences on a working card and a non-working card. So I'll post what they said as soon as they replay.

I'd be interested to see what the lsusb or diff -u output is for people who have this card working.

I have a 100% working Edimax 7318USG and here are the outputs you ask for:

Code:
    root@bt:~# lsusb
    Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
    Bus 001 Device 002: ID 148f:2573 Ralink Technology, Corp. RT2501USB Wireless Adapter
    Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
    I din't post the second command "diff -u". I need more parameters and I don't know how to use it. I read the man and is too vague, all I understood is that the command shows the differences between 2 files/stdin. If you can be more specific on that command I would help you.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast