Thread: Big resolution with bt4

Hybrid View

Just burned his ISO

Default Big resolution with bt4

I'm sorry to all brother if i posted this topic in a wrong folder. It's my first post since i used bt. Before i used bt3, it worked find with my laptop but since bt4 was released i decided to test it because i wanted to find out what are new. Then i've downloaded it and burnt it into Dvd. But i don't know why after typing startx, i can't see anything besides big letter (very big). Can anyone kindly help me? Thank again in advance. And sorry again too.

Quote Originally Posted by pop.boy View Post
    I'm sorry to all brother if i posted this topic in a wrong folder. It's my first post since i used bt. Before i used bt3, it worked find with my laptop but since bt4 was released i decided to test it because i wanted to find out what are new. Then i've downloaded it and burnt it into Dvd. But i don't know why after typing startx, i can't see anything besides big letter (very big). Can anyone kindly help me? Thank again in advance. And sorry again too.
    The "HowTo's" sub-forum is for tutorials, not questions.

Thread moved.
    "\x74\x68\x65\x70\x72\x65\x7a\x39\x38";

@pop.boy
    You could try starting the XServer with
    Code:
    # startx -- -dpi 96
    and see if that helps

Quote Originally Posted by pop.boy View Post
    i don't know why after typing startx, i can't see anything besides big letter (very big). Can anyone kindly help me? Thank again in advance. And sorry again too.
    once u are in Xwindows try clicking ;;
    CONTROL +
    or
    CONTROL -
    that should cylce thru resolutions available to you.

also u wanna make sure the right module is getting loaded for yr video card, in my case I needed to load "nvidiafb" (which came with backtrack 4beta = in the /lib/modules/2.6.28.1/kernel/drivers/video/ folder)... but after learning more, I ended up downloading the latest linux nvidia display driver directly from the nvidia.com website, installed the driver, and let it auto-conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf - this seemed to work pretty well. now I don't know what resolution u are looking to get, but even after letting nvidia driver auto-config'd my xorg.conf file, I still had to manually configure it to allow 2560x1600 resolution (i got a 30" monitor).

one other note, might be of use if u got nvidia card... the backtrack4 beta DVD comes with CUDA and NVIDIA drivers (correct me if I am wrong there guys!) dated 01/30/2009 in the folder = /opt/cuda ... to install do the following ;

dpkg --force-overwrite -i /opt/cuda/nv_20090130-1_i386.deb
    ldconfig
    depmod -a
    modprobe nvidia

good luck!