Thread: Merge Changes directory into a live CD .iso

Hybrid View

Just burned his ISO

Default Merge Changes directory into a live CD .iso

Hey all!
    I've been using backtrack4 beta for a while on a 8GB usb flash drive. I used the following tut to get a persistent changes option going: (just add the www) infosecramblings.com/backtrack/backtrack-4-usbpersistent-changesnessus/

I have the 2nd partition with a changes folder and edited the syslinux.cfg and added the changes=/dev/sdx2.
    It worked perfectly: no problems and I've used it over a month now. I have installed/updated a boat load of programs and now would like to merge my persistent changes into an .iso and have that be my live usb default boot. That way I can use that as I pentest so as not to potentially screw anything up with my good (persistent build). I've searched all over (and I of course could be a moron so forgive me if this ticks any of you off) but haven't found anything with my specific situation. I am guessing it would be a bit faster that way as well since instead of reading off the main partition then also going to the 2nd partition it would just go off the one. The new backtrack 4 wiki has a how-to on creating your own custom .iso but that is from scratch and using vmware. Since I've already put alot of time getting my current image I'd hate to have to start all over again. Thanks for anyone pointing me in the right direction.

What i do is tar my changes folder after every major update, and test install everything new in the default build.

However i understand where your coming from and to me it looks as tho you can just copy everything in the changes folder over to the matching directory of the default bt4 dvd with an iso tool. That should work just keep in mind to overwrite everything as whats in the changes folder is going to be the data you want to keep.

Like i said i haven't tried that but logic says that it should as its my understand that everytime you modify a file from the default build its saved in the changes folder with a matching directory.

There is also a guide JUST posted on on how to load the live dvd and apply changes and then rebuild it. Its on the Offsec blog if you want to check it out but im not sure if it only applys to the pre-final.
    Using backtrack for the first time is like being 10 years old again with the keys to a Ferrari.

Just burned his ISO

Yea: I've definitely been backing up my changes folder each time I make a new change. I'll try your suggestion to see if that works. I guess also this point is moot (spelling ) since the pre-release will be coming out soon and I'll have to pretty much start over again. Oh well: it's good for me being a newbie and all to get the repetition. Thanks for your help!

I just found out myself that the guide that was posted is ONLY for the pre-final and will NOT work on the beta.

Personally im not really doing any more customizations until the final comes out. In the mean time im going over everything i have added and making sure i can re-add it quickly when the new release is out.
    Using backtrack for the first time is like being 10 years old again with the keys to a Ferrari.

Just burned his ISO

I totally agree
    After I saw some of the changes they made it doesn't make sense to
    Fool around with beta any more