Thread: Backtrack 3 hacking help

Just burned his ISO

Default Backtrack 3 hacking help

I am new at Backtrack 3 (I've been using it for about a week). I am using it as a live cd with my IBM Thinkpad R40 with a Netgear Wag511 PCMCIA card. I've looked a few tutorials on how to crack a WEP encrypted wireless network. I've done everything they all said (only works with eth1/eth0) but when I get to the airodump-ng command, it gives me this message
    "ARP linktype is set to 1 (Ethernet) - expected ARPHRD_IEEE80211,
    ARPHRD_IEEE80211_FULL or ARPHRD_IEEE80211_PRISM instead. Make
    sure RFMON is enabled: run 'airmon-ng start eth1 <#>'
    Sysfs injection support was not found either."
    And my other question is why do I have more than one interface? (eth1/eth0,ath1/ath0,wifi1/wifi0 I've seen all of these interfaces, but it's either the 1's(eth1,ath1,wifi1) or 0's(eth0,ath0,wifi0) all together.) Since I have another wireless card that is built into my computer but not used is why i asked this. I know this might sound a little confusing but please help and thanks for reading.

Very good friend of the forum Virchanza's Avatar

I get this in BT4 sometimes with my RT73. It works every time if I do the following:

Code:
    airmon-ng stop wlan0
    airodump-ng wlan0
    Ask questions on the open forums, that way everybody benefits from the solution, and everybody can be corrected when they make mistakes. Don't send me private messages asking questions that should be asked on the open forums, I won't respond. I decline all "Friend Requests".

I know you dont want to hear this but i would suggest playing with ubuntu for a week or so then come back to BT. I know it hard because you want to jump into everything, but you will learn allot more allot faster that way and in the process gain an understanding of how linux works.
    Using backtrack for the first time is like being 10 years old again with the keys to a Ferrari.