Thread: Mobile broadband via usb dongle

Hybrid View

Default Mobile broadband via usb dongle

Hi I was interested to know if the BT4 vmware image would work with broadband via mobile phone networks when run on a windows host? I am in UK by the way. I would have thought that vmware would just supply a generic network interface to guest os's so anything compatible with windows would be fine. Is this the case or am I onto a loser? Can anyone advise?

thx

Just burned his ISO

Default Mobile broadband via usb dongle

The term dongle has traditionally referred to any USB device; however, with the rise of mobile broadband and the influence of 3 broadband it has become synonymous with mobile broadband modems.

Mobile broadband dongles are portable modems that plug into the USB port of your laptop or computer providing internet access via 3G signalling. Dongles are popular with business and personal users alike as they offer greater flexibility and increase communication opportunities.
    Compare the latest dongle deals here Dongles

Mobile dongles are also widely referred to as mobile modems, mobile USB modems and USB modems, though the term dongle is perhaps the most widely used.
    Compare the best mobile broadband deals here mobile broadband

As the idea of the 'dongle' is such a new concept and the word does not exist in many dictionaries, many misspellings of dongle (singular and plural) exist, for example: dongal, dongals, dongel, dongels or even doggle or doggles! We'll stick with the correct spelling of 'dongle' in this guide.

Quote Originally Posted by akash222 View Post
    The term dongle has traditionally referred to any USB device; however, with the rise of mobile broadband and the influence of 3 broadband it has become synonymous with mobile broadband modems.

Mobile broadband dongles are portable modems that plug into the USB port of your laptop or computer providing internet access via 3G signalling. Dongles are popular with business and personal users alike as they offer greater flexibility and increase communication opportunities.
    Compare the latest dongle deals here Dongles

Mobile dongles are also widely referred to as mobile modems, mobile USB modems and USB modems, though the term dongle is perhaps the most widely used.
    Compare the best mobile broadband deals here mobile broadband

As the idea of the 'dongle' is such a new concept and the word does not exist in many dictionaries, many misspellings of dongle (singular and plural) exist, for example: dongal, dongals, dongel, dongels or even doggle or doggles! We'll stick with the correct spelling of 'dongle' in this guide.
    WTF was the point of that post?
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    WTF was the point of that post?
    Don't know, is "dongle" the correct spelling, I personally was more concerned with getting the thing working. Obviously doesn't let having nothing to say stop him from talking lol
    Still be glad of any help its now 1am in UK I packed in for the night about an hour ago I'll keep going with it for a bit longer in the morning.
    I'd have thought having internet on the move would be useful during pentests so I'll write up a how to once I get it sorted.

Default ----update-----

Hi again,
    I've been experimenting on this the last 2 hours, sussed that I need to use wvdial. I'm getting very close with getting a connection but still not quite there. My wvdial.conf file currently reads:

Code:
    [Dialer Defaults]
    Modem = /dev/ttyUSB0
    Phone = *99***1#
    Username = three
    Password = three
    New PPPD = yes
    the command:
    Code:
    root@bt:/etc/init.d# wvdial
    now returns:
    Code:
    --> WvDial: Internet dialer version 1.60
    --> Cannot get information for serial port.
    --> Initializing modem.
    --> Sending: ATZ
    ATZ
    OK
    --> Modem initialized.
    --> Sending: ATDT*99***1#
    --> Waiting for carrier.
    ATDT*99***1#
    CONNECT
    --> Carrier detected.  Waiting for prompt.
    --> Don't know what to do!  Starting pppd and hoping for the best.
    --> Starting pppd at Sat May 30 17:50:16 2009
    --> Pid of pppd: 7484
    --> Using interface ppp0
    --> pppd: p~[06][08]p~[06][08]Ȉ[06][08]
    --> local  IP address 92.40.136.110
    --> remote IP address 10.64.64.64
    and stops dead there, still no workable connection. I looked up the IP address and unsurprisingly it belongs to my mobile ISP.

can anyone help
    thx