Thread: Injection WORKING still no packets

Just burned his ISO

Default Injection WORKING still no packets

I have injection working. I have tested it with aireplay-ng -9 and it works. I have also successfully been able to generate packets before with physically the same hardware (back|track 4 live usb, linksys wusb54g v.4). I have successfully cracked WEP before.

Now, however, on my repeat attempts, I cannot seem to generate packets and I am ignorant as to why not. I am using airodump to gather the packets and aireplay to stimulate them. I first do a fake authentication (-1) then an ARP-request replay (-3).

I get "Association successful :-) (AID: 1)" and I notice my MAC show up under the list of connected clients in airodump after the -1 attack.

After the -3 attack, I get:
    "Read #### packets (got 0 ARP requests and 0 ACKs), sent 0 packets...(0 pps)"

where #### is a steadily increasing number and the other parameters remain at 0. (I know vaguely what these quantities refer to, but little of their significance, so if you wanted to enlighten me about them, I would truly be interested)

I have repeated these attacks multiple times and always get consistent results in that the above scenario is true for ~5-10 minutes after which I get:
    "read ###### packets (got 1 ARP requests and ~50 ACKs), sent #### packets...(499 pps)"

where now both the read and sent counts are increasing, but ARP and pps values are always 1 and 499 respectively. The ACKs are always somewhere right around 50 (eg. 52, 55...). When aireplay kicks over to this second stage where it is sending packets, I notice on airodump that the entry associated with my MAC has increasing numbers in both the 'packets' field and the 'lost' field, yet the '#Data' is not increasing (I assume that this is related to the fact that all my packets are being 'lost').

If someone has the time, could you please explain to me what is going on? I'd really like to understand the situation even more than simply having someone fix the problem for me. Thanks.

EDIT: or you could just tell me what to do and I'll figure it out. I'm surprised that I have gotten no replies (not even ones telling me of the merits of searching the forums and Google) so maybe I'm asking too much.

EDIT#2: sorry that it is taking so long to reply to the two of you that are trying to help, but the procedure here is apparently to put up a 3 day waiting period between when a new member posts and when that post is actually realized. I do have a reply out there in cyberspace just waiting to find a home. Hopefully it wont be too long now. Good thing, though, that they only need to approve my initial posts because if I ever need to sell some cutlery or magazine subscriptions to you guys, I'll first just ask a question about installation problems or MAC addresses then edit it to contain links to my ebay store. Great system.

Good friend of the forums

why don't we see the model of your router in the above hardware specs? why oh why....

Eh atleast he had the common sense to say "my" unlike most of the others.

Anyways ive had this same prob, im using the alfa and a simple unplug-replug does the trick. Also reverting to the old drivers helps, there is a guide posted ..
    Using backtrack for the first time is like being 10 years old again with the keys to a Ferrari.

I always face this problem with my router (netgear wgr614v9). The solution is really simple. Let me ask few things -
    1) What rate are you using (will be shown in iwconfig)
    2) Is there any client associated, I mean, is any computer using the internet other that your BT box?

If you give me this information, hopefully I'll give you the solution.
    Cheers
    If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough -- Albert Einstein

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by xorred View Post
    why don't we see the model of your router in the above hardware specs? why oh why....
    By hardware specs listed I assume you mean the wusb54g, because otherwise I didn't list anything to do with hardware, and that hardly counts as a spec. I didn't list the router because I assumed that it was irrelevant seeings how I am trying to crack the WEP encryption and not the router itself and there are plenty of different routers that can do WEP, to me, making WEP hardware independent.

Anyways, Thanks for the help xorred...

As far as the hardware, it is a linksys WRT54G v.2 that I have put DD-WRT v24 (07/03/08) std - build 9856M on. There are other clients associated, and I am able to capture their traffic, but I cannot generate enough packets to crack anymore (short of actually creating traffic on the connected computers). I have also successfully cracked WPA using a deauthenticate-handshake capture-dictionary attack procedure (where I specifically added in the encryption key to the dictionary) between when WEP was working and now. Could doing this have somehow caused a problem?

@vvpalin: unplug-replug of the router? You mean reverting to the old drivers for the wireless card? Again, I was successful before doing exactly the same thing that I am doing now.

@kazalku: by rate I assume you mean injection rate. I did not specify a rate with aireplay -3 so I should be using the default. The output from iwconfig is:

IEEE 802.11bg Mode:Monitor Frequency:2.437 GHz Tx-Power=20 dBm
    Retry min limit:7 RTS thrff Fragment thr=2352 B
    Encryption keyff
    Power Managementff
    Link Quality:0 Signal level:0 Noise level:0
    Rx invalid nwid:0 ........

sorry if there are are any typos, I had to retype everything by hand because I am using separate computers for BT4 and this forum. Also, the rest of the quantities from the output are all 0, I jsut didnt copy them all.

Again, I am more interested in why this would happen (ie. what would cause it) then getting it fixed because I want to understand the theory behind it (I am a grad student in ECE).

Make rate 1MB by
    iwconfig rausb0 (or whatever) rate 1MB

Then connect another client and deauth it by aireplay-ng -0 10 ........
    If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough -- Albert Einstein