Thread: MAC's Vendor has extra hex 06

Just burned his ISO

Default MAC's Vendor has extra hex 06

Ok, so Im using backtrack 4, already installed to hard drive and an Atheros AR5001X+ mini PCI card. The problem that I am running across is that sometimes after using the Macchanger program (at least this SEEMS to be where the issue is originating, but not 100% sure), my mac is 06:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX as opposed to 00:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX. As far as I can tell, it doesn't seem to effect anything negatively, but it shows up under the ifconfig with the extra 06 hex in the mac, under network interfaces, and everywhere else that shows my mac (even on my router's DHCP client list, so it's not a local issue, it actually IS with an extra 06).

I know that the first 3 Hex's are the oui of the card, the manufacturer...so it makes it difficult to spoof as a Lexmark Printer (00:20:00:XX:XX:XX) for pentesting when my mac is 06:20:00:XX:XX:XX . I still have connectivity, and no problems actually browsing the internet, or performing any other kind of functions, its just annoying.

I have tried on multiple occasions to use macchanger to correct the "06", and it seems to because it displays my mac without the 06, but all other tools show it with the 06.

I tried searching first, but haven't come across anything similiar...I'm sure someone else out there is seeing this crap...

Ty in advance

Have the same card and had the same problem.

ticket with 06 at beginning of MAC - madwifi-project.org - Trac

00:11:22:33:44:55 becomes 06:11:22:33:44:55 and so forth

All the best,
    onryo
    Let me explain officer, I am not a hacker. I am a security tester of sorts!