Thread: wireless equipment : your thoughts please

Just burned his ISO thecheekymonkey's Avatar

just wondered people thoughts on this antenna / wifi dongle.

i know the listing is a bit misleading, i.;e. 639mw > 1000mw + but i like the look of it, and have spoken to the guy, the adaptor is a no name brand, but has the same chipset as the alfa (which i own)

like i say ive bought one anyways, but just wondered the thoughts of the wireless gurus, i do understand about dBi >dBm , receive sens etc etc, but i`m not fluent in it

sorry, heres the e-bay item number

OMG!! You spent so much money for the wardriving kit......... looks amazing to me..
    What's your future plan with it..
    If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough -- Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by kazalku View Post
    OMG!! You spent so much money for the wardriving kit......... looks amazing to me..
    What's your future plan with it..
    do i detect a hint of sarcasm there?

My plans are mine , however on my hunt for a nice compact directional antenna (specifically yagi) i came across the one listed, which looks well made and well thought out, specifically i like the fact that you can still use this as just an antenna as well.

i would of gone for the antenna alone and used it with my existing alfa USB, but the specs look better i.e. more receive and power output, so an allround upgrade for me.

just wondered the thoughts of those who have more knowledge about these things than me, and also if it is a nice bit of kit then its a link for others who are interested (but not spam, i`m no way affiliated with the auction, other than purchasing it)

and cheers for the mod who joined the posts

Quote Originally Posted by TheCheekymonkey View Post
    and cheers for the mod who joined the posts
    You can find the name at the bottom of original post. Cheers
    If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough -- Albert Einstein

well, ive just got the equipment yesterday, ive had a sneak peek, very nice.

phenominal delivery time from hongkong, i ordered just before posting the original post.

all pretty well made, the tripods a little inadequate for the antenna, means you still have to balance it no matter what, could do with being put in a bit more of a balanced place, or a more weighty tripod.

however the usb wireless dongle is pretty good.

rtl8187
    single usb port
    works in backtrack 3 (same as my alpha)
    uses same driver as alpha under windows.

to do a full comparison i`ll get the alpha out tomorrow and perform a few tests to see which performs better, but its definately a pretty good antenna, i had connected to a couple of BT open (BTFON) networks, which i know are at least 3 miles by the crow., bearing in mind that from me to them there is little in the way except the odd rooftop.

pretty pleased with it, but until i have a look at the alpha next to it, i wont know.

heres a couple of photos , please ignore he make shift mast!!!!!!!

thenetstumbler list is after a quick sweep in 360o. i want to get it at the front of the house as i know theres more AP`s to pick up there, i`ll chuck the alpha on there as well..

ive got a feeling that the usb adaptor is one of those that are from dealextreme.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.20158

OK well after trying a few simple experiments, it would seem that the alpha is a much better device than the one provided, by pointing the generic one that came with the antenna and keeping it static at an access point (one of my neigbours) i got a power reading (under airodump-ng) of say 6 to 8.

being careful no to move the antenna i swapped it out for the alpha and this jumped immediately to 16 to 18 (all readings fluctuated, but just making a guestimate at an average).

tryed it with a few different AP`s and same results, the alpha is clearly a better card (or at least gives a better result) , maybe its the two USB`s on the alpha.

and also it is exactly the same as the deal extreme card as posted above (the generic one that came with the antenna).

the antennas ace though, works really well and couple with me alpha i can defrost me pies for tea