Thread: Migrating BT3F to BT4b with GRUB

Just burned his ISO

Default Migrating BT3F to BT4b with GRUB

Hello all,

I used the search function for a bit but I can't find anything similar to what I want to do. I've used BT3 for some time now, so I'm not new, but by no means an expert. I upgraded that kernel to 2.6.26, but some things stopped working. Mainly wine no longer worked. So I tried the BT4b live cd and really liked it. I'm looking to keep my same configuration (listed below) but just swap BT3 with BT4. I also want to keep a lot of the programs that come with BT3 like spoonwep, and the gui wifi setup (cant recall name). I also installed openoffice and I really don't want to reinstall it since I tweaked it heavily.

Right now I have grub start from within ntldr, the windows boot loader. I added my backtrack mbr as an entry in my boot.ini.

sda1 = FAT partition. something for dell's recovery, ~47MB so I'm not touching this.
    sda2 = NTFS windows (not touching)
    sda3 = swap (not touching)
    sda5 = bt3 root
    sda6 = bt3 boot this is where my GRUB stuff is.
    sda7 = ext3 data partition (not touching)

Here is my current GRUB menu.lst
    Code:
    default 0
    timeout 30

title Backtrack 3 KDE
    rootnoverify(hd1,5)
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz vga=791 root=/dev/sda5 ro autoexec=xconf;kdm
    boot

title Backtrack 3
    rootnoverify(hd1,5)
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz vga=791 root=/dev/sda5 ro
    boot
    If anything is unclear, please ask for clarification, I'll be more than happy to clear it up.
    Thank you in advance.

your going to have to make a completely new install. bt3 and bt4 are completely different systems so you cant do the slackware update in the past w/ the dvd. your going have to start from square one again.
    They ran this hack in V.M.O., so I'm isolating the A.P.I., and just booting the host. -Matthew Farrell

Just burned his ISO

Aww I was afraid of that.

BT3 had a lot of scripts and programs that BT4 does not. Is there anyway I can save all of them? I still want to essentially merge BT3 and BT4's KDE menus. If there is no easy way of doing this I'll just install the several ones I actually use.

Thanks for your reply.

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Simpsonboy77 View Post
    Aww I was afraid of that.

BT3 had a lot of scripts and programs that BT4 does not. Is there anyway I can save all of them? I still want to essentially merge BT3 and BT4's KDE menus. If there is no easy way of doing this I'll just install the several ones I actually use.

Thanks for your reply.
    The menu is more or less the same. The things that are missing from the menu are/ or have been fixed and will be available when bt 4 comes out. (don't ask when).
    As for anything else check first to see if it is installed and if so then you may only need to add it to the menu.
    Look in the bugs and fixes section here for more info on those items.
    There are several threads by me and secure_it that details the info.

Also your personal scripts may work you will just need to copy them over and try them out.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Just burned his ISO

I just installed the few packages I use most often after starting from scratch. BT4 now works persistently from my hard drive.

Thanks for your replies, consider this topic solved.