Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Legal question

Just wanted to clarify, i am by no means wanting to do this and regardless of the legal aspect morally i think its wrong .. i'm white hat through and through ... well unless uncle sam offers me a job

@KMdave

Your analogy gets me rather worried because as was said .. acquiring information about a lock "IV's or a handshake" isnt illegal, and its also not illegal to to pick an identical copy of someone elses lock using that knowledge you learned.

I live in the US btw and i have a feeling this is a complete grey area as technically it could be legal but throw in credit card or financial data and obviously there is going to be a HUGE problem.

@THORN

Ive already broken my wep and wpa keys multiple times, i really have no interest in repeating it because once you know how to do it and know whats actually going on its rather pointless to repeat unless you are dong further tests or being malicious. Besides there is SO much more i want to learn that screwing with wep is just idiotic.

This was just a thought i had while on my first war drive session the other day.

One more thing as i just thought about while writing this, if collecting the information isnt illegal, um ... what about open networks?

The more i think about it .. even if you do acquire any data there must be some sort of privacy law that prohibits you from discussing that information with anyone.
    Using backtrack for the first time is like being 10 years old again with the keys to a Ferrari.

It is illegal to connect to open networks even if they require no authentication.

Well there is a difference. As for collecting IV's it's not like that there are 1000 similar AP's creating the exactly same IV's out there.
    You are collecting IV's about a very particular target. Also the question was not about only collecting IV's but about if it's illegal if they attemp to crack the key or only if they succeed.
    Tiocfaidh ár lá

Quote Originally Posted by KMDave View Post
    It is illegal to connect to open networks even if they require no authentication.
    Yes but what if you don't connect at all .. you just listen in and then look at the data coming through.
    Using backtrack for the first time is like being 10 years old again with the keys to a Ferrari.

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Quote Originally Posted by vvpalin View Post
    Yes but what if you don't connect at all .. you just listen in and then look at the data coming through.
    What if I didn't want to actually use your phone line, but I just wanted to listen in to all your calls?
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    What if I didn't want to actually use your phone line, but I just wanted to listen in to all your calls?
    Actually all your going to hear is the white noise emanating from my tinfoil hat

I was going to suggest how listening into a convo using a scanner isnt illegal .. but then i remembered it depends on the state your in as to if its illegal or not.

That would most likely break wiretap laws if you were caught.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Actually all your going to hear is the white noise emanating from my tinfoil hat

I was going to suggest how listening into a convo using a scanner isnt illegal .. but then i remembered it depends on the state your in as to if its illegal or not.
    Listening to any Phone call via a Scanner is illegal, in all 50 states.

The legality of recording a phone conversation varies in state to state as to whether you need 1 or two party consent to record the call, and if you have a duty to inform all parties connected that the call is being recorded.

But in NO instance may you* ever be a third party listening to a call without the knowledge of at least 1 of the parties in the call. That's wiretapping, and it's a federal crime. Whether you tap the line via the actual wire, or you listen in on a scanner or other wideband receiver.

*LEO's and the other authorized personnel with appropriate warrants excepted
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

You are correct i got confused with the 1 and 2 party consent rule. That about covers it then as there really isnt a gray area since you could pretty much be charged with a federal crime if they wanted to nab you.

Dunno how i didn't think of that before but thanks for all the input

You can not just listen without connecting to it.
    Tiocfaidh ár lá

I was always under the impression that if you have to ask, its most likely illegal...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast