Thread: No wireless connection

Hybrid View

Default No wireless connection

I recently upgraded my drivers for my wireless usb dongle (edimax EW-7318USG) and now I can't connect to any wireless routers. NetworkManager won't even show them in the vicinity even though they are found with kismet.

The drivers I updated to are rt73-k2wrlz-3.0.3 which support injection for my particular usb dongle.

For those familiar with the particular chipset drivers the device named has been altered from wlan0 to rausb0 (not that I can in any logical sense make out why this would cause an internal conflict since it shouldn't have anything to do with NM)

I'm still a linux n00b but I've tried looking for all cfgs rel to NetworkManager and also googled to the best of my abillities. Has anyone else had this problem?

I'm wondering if this is drivers rel or if you simply have to play with NetworkManager. I'm considering reinstalling the old modules (deleted them recently) and reverting back and forth, if this is the particular problem, but it still seems tedious at best since this shouldn't be a problem.

Any thoughts?

Thanks for going easy on the flames in advance

I have the same device and use the same driver. It works every time. Did you follow this? Did you try reinstalling the driver.

If both yes, then sometime simple unplugging the device and replugging it solve the problem.
    If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough -- Albert Einstein

I have done everything accordingly, but the problem still persists.
    Also unplugging, plugging back and restarting the device did nothing.

Any other advice?

Thanks

Also I should note that at times I get a 0% quality to the closest network (closest being ca 1 meter from the AP) in KNetworkManager, however it won't connect.

Even though it finds this network there should be at least 3 more within very close proximity.

hmmmm.... you are using Bt3, right? Try the BT4beta, the driver is built-in there, so you should be able to use it straight away. Connect the dongle AFTER you log in.
    If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough -- Albert Einstein

Default --

if you are using bt3 this works (BT4 also works, look at the end of this post), I have the same usb dongle and I´m using it to conect to my wpa encrypted network, install the 3.01 driver

Code:
    wget http://homepages.tu-darmstadt.de/~p_larbig/wlan/rt73-k2wrlz-3.0.1.tar.bz2
    tar -xjf rt73-k2wrlz-3.0.1.tar.bz2
    cd rt73-k2wrlz-3.0.1/Module
    make
    make install
    modprobe rt73
    and then download this rar file:
    http://www.zshare.net/download/5577512770be3247/

drop the 2 files in /BT3/modules and boot / reboot

now you have a new program in your k meny, internet, called "wireless assistant", start this program and it will scan for networks, connect and enter your key, you might have to try a couple of times before it connects.

this also works under BT4 but here you dont have to install new drivers, just drop the 2 files in modules directory and boot/reboot

/M

Quote Originally Posted by micked View Post
    this also works under BT4 but here you dont have to install new drivers, just drop the 2 files in modules directory and boot/reboot
    For me it worked straightaway in bt4b. Do you really need these files in bt4b?