Thread: USB Problem

Just burned his ISO

Hi,

I'm very new to Linux and backtrack 3, so to most of you this is going to seem so basic i presume.
    My problem is i cant get my usb pen drive and usb external hard drive to work. On other Linux systems like Ubuntu and Fedora they were always detected and mounted for me as soon as i plugged them in.
    Would someone be kind enough to guide me through on how to get my usb pen drive and external hard drive working please? Also is it possible to make it so Backtrack3 detects my usb devices when starting up? At the moment if i have them plugged in during start-up it gives me some errors and wont get them working (Backtrack still loads fine though, is just the usb) I want to install backtrack onto my usb external harddrive, but at the moment i cant because my usb devices arnt working.

The one device that kinda works through the usb is my usb mouse. It works but is very slow and jerky, so i use the touch pad on the laptop instead.

Thanks for any help any of you can give me on getting my pen drive and external hard drive working

Hi,
    Well i posted about this at the beginning of the week but i have a feeling it did not get posted as i cannot find it anywhere. I read that i have to wait 3 days but still dont see it, so im posting again.

Anyway my problem is getting backtrack 3 to detect my usb pen drive and external harddrive. Im very new to linux and only know the most basic stuff. When i tried out Ubuntu and Fedora they always autodetected my usb devices and mounted them for me. With Backtrack 3 it doesnt auto mount either my usb pen or usb external harddrive. I know to you experienced users this is going to seem so simple and silly of me to ask, but how can i get backtrack 3 to detect and mount my usb devices?

Aswell as getting it to detect them is there a way i can make backtrack 3 detect them at startup? I would like to install backtrack 3 onto my usb external hardrive but cant at the moment till i know how to make my usb devices work with it.

thanks for your time and any help you can provide me with =)

Just burned his ISO

Anyone have any ideas?

I've been having a look around and came across this
    linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-newbie-8/getting-usb-to-work-in-backtrack-2-606118

There they are saying the persons problem is the CD, but i dont see how that can be the same for me as i have got Backtrack 3 burned onto 3 CD's.
    Aswell as that i tried this
    linuxconfig.org/Howto_mount_USB_drive_in_Linux

It's saying how to mount a usb device. I tried the first step where it says enter 'fdisk -1' I did that but my output of the command give this.

bt ~# fdisk -1
    fdisk: invalid option -- 1

Usage: fdisk [-b SSZ] [-u] DISK Change partition table
    fdisk -L [-b SSZ] [-u] DISK List partition table(s)
    fdisk -s PARTITION Give partition size(s) in blocks
    fdisk -v Give fdisk version
    Here DISK is something like /dev/hdb or /dev/sda
    and PARTITION is something like /dev/hda7
    -u: give Start and End in sector (instead of cylinder) units
    -b 2048 (for certain MO disks) use 2048-byte sectors
    I dont know if it makes much difference knowing the exact devices im using, here they are in case it does. The USB pen drive is 'Buffalo usb 2.0 flash drive' and the external hardrive is a 'Seagate FreeAgent Go 250gb'

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks

oh yah..thanks to the person who added my orginal post into my first message I couldnt find the orginal anywhere lol

Just burned his ISO

Default Bump

Having the same problem any one have a solution for this?

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Look at the man page for mount. In a terminal
    # man mount
    also man mount in google.
    There are several threads here that discuss the problem you are having just search here for them.
    Also the person who added your thread or whatever you mentioned was balding_parrot one of the Moderators here.
    You can look at the very bottom of your post and it will tell you this information.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Quote Originally Posted by lordice21 View Post

It's saying how to mount a usb device. I tried the first step where it says enter 'fdisk -1' I did that but my output of the command give this.
    Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks
    this is a simple syntax error. it is fdisk -L (lowercased); not fdisk -1 (numeral).

Quick and easy starting point for google here

In a console type "qtparted" look at the partition of the connected usb drive .. should be something like "sdb1" .. you can also format with this utility its very similar to partition magic.

Back in the consol type ..

mkdir /mnt/sdb1
    mount /dev/sdb1 /mnt/sdb1

Then to browse your usb drive just navigate to ... you guessed it .. /mnt/sdb1

Cheers
    Using backtrack for the first time is like being 10 years old again with the keys to a Ferrari.