Thread: boot bt from iso on hd (grub2)

UnableToLoad

Default boot bt from iso on hd (grub2)

hello, i'm new to bt and i don't speak good english (but i'm quite used to gnu/linux and the shell ; )
    as the title says how can i make the iso of bt4 (or bt3) boot directly from hd (no working cd reader and no boot from usb)? i know that there are some ways to make grub2 boot from an iso lying ok hd, but i couldn't manage to get it work . . .

thanks for the help!

have you tried a VM? or possibly installing it to the HDD?

http://www.offensive-security.com/do...hd-install.pdf

UnableToLoad

vm as virtual machine? no my notebook is a pentium2, not a good idea to virtualize!
    i want to boot from an iso on the file system, i don't want to edit partitions! (due to damadged sectors on the hard drive)
    now i use grub 1 to boot grub 2 and i'd like to boot backtrack from the iso...

Just burned his ISO

Default BT3 in Grub2

May be, Now it's useless but:

Here is my configuration to boot from ISO with BT3 in Grub2:

menuentry "BackTrack 3 ISO=bt3-final.iso"{
    loopback loop (hd0,10)/thot/bt3-final.iso
    linux (loop)/boot/vmlinuz slax from=/thot/bt3-final.iso root=/dev/ram0 irqpool
    initrd (loop)/boot/initrd.gz
    }

(hd0,10) is the number of my partition and /thot/bt3-final.iso is the path to the file.

Did you look here? The link to this thread appears on the first screen of the BackTrack 4 General Support forum... not exactly hard to find.

http://forums.remote-exploit.org/bac...ard-drive.html
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.