Thread: Audio transmission device: Antenna Mod?

Default Audio transmission device: Antenna Mod?

Links:
    Griffin ITrip 07 - http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/itripauto07
    Remote Exploit LiquidFM Mod - http://remote-exploit.org/hardhack.html
    BH1418FV Transmitter Chip Specs - http://www.alldatasheet.com/view.jsp...hword=BH1418FV

I was watching the hardware hack video at remote-exploit where Kensington adds an antenna to his LiquidFM device. I have a Griffin iTrip lying around my house so I cracked it open to see if I could mimic Kensington. I think that I have the same Transmitter Chip as Kensington because our Type Numbers are the same: BH1418FV, but our Lot Numbers are different: I'm pretty sure that this is normal.

The strange thing is that the RF output pin (pin 13 according to the video and according to the pdf) is where there should be a trace running from pin 13 to the transmitter (like in the video) however when you look at the Griffin 07 iTrip there is not only no transmitter, but also no trace whatsoever running off of pin 13.

I did some reading on the link above (first one) and it says that the antenna is built in. I just don't understand where it would be built in if there is nothing coming off of pin 13 and so I obviously also don't know where to solder my antenna.

So I'm left with one question:
    -How else can an audio transmitting device transmit audio if there is nothing on pin 13?

Thanks for reading.

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Can you post high-res photos of both sides of the board?
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Yes my dad has a nikon but I have no idea how it works. I'll try to get some posted tomorrow.

If you go to the link listed below it clearly states that the bottom left hand corner is pin 13 and should be the RF output pin. However from the picture we see that there aren't any traces running off of pin 13. I lined up the printed lettering of Kensington's chip posted in the video (also linked below) and the one posted in the chip specs so I know that the chip is facing the correct way.

One thing I noticed that could have nothing to do with the RF output but maybe is worth mentioning: If you look in the first picture in the bottom right there is a circular hole that is labeled ANT1.

Anyways I hope these pictures help us find the problem, thanks for the interest and thank you for any help.