Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BT 4 Beta Virtual machine

Hybrid View

Just burned his ISO

Default BT 4 Beta Virtual machine

Hi Everyone,

I am completely new to BackTrack cd so I have downloaded virtual appliances from VMware site. So this is what I have:

1. Pentium D Desktop with 4 GB or RAM
    2. Windows Vista 32 bit (Host OS)
    3. VMware workstation 6.5.2
    4. BT4 Beta virtual machine
    5. Linksys Wusb54gc v3 wireless adapter

So I started my virtual machine (VM) and make sure that NIC in VM is using bridge settings. While running the VM in full screen mode, I plugged my wirless adapter into the USB port, then clicked on one of icon in the status bar (below) and make sure that my wireless card was conneced to VM.

Then opened a terminal window and typed ifconfig and it only showed me eth0 (which seemed to be wired connection) and lo (Loopback) connections. Then I ran iwconfig and I got no wireless message

When I ran lsusb then It shows this:

Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
    Bus 001 Device 003: ID 1737:0077 Linksys
    Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

After this I have read few post and one of them mentioned that I need to get newest driver (rt73-k2wrlz-3.0.3.tar.bz2) for this card.

After downloading these driver, I have installed them using the instruction from read me file:

1. Unpack the driver sources and go to the Module directory:
    $ tar -xvzf rt73-cvs-daily.tar.gz
    $ cd ./rt73-cvs-YYYYMMDDHH/Module

2. Compile the driver sources:
    $ make

3. Install the driver (as root):
    # make install

4. modprobe rt73

After installing the driver, still I can't find any wireless adapters. I have used these commands:

ifconfig wlan0 up
    ifconfig rausb0 up

but still got the "No such device" message. Can anyone tell me please what else needs to done before this VM can detect my usb wireless adapter?

Thanks,

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by music5_5 View Post
    . Can anyone tell me please what else needs to done before this VM can detect my usb wireless adapter?
    Thanks,
    Did you allow the vm to take control of the usb device?
    If you mentioned that I didn't see it.
    But generally boot the vm plug in the usb and select devices on the top of the vm window.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Ive used the alfa on vmware many times. There is some kind of bug .. well i dunno if you would call it a bug, but anyways ive had to unplug and replug it a few times to get it to work, and in some cases my pc needed a full reboot.

Keep in mind thats only to get it connected to vm as once vmware actually sees it ive had no probs.
    Using backtrack for the first time is like being 10 years old again with the keys to a Ferrari.

Just burned his ISO

i guess that u need to install the wireless device driver on windows first, then try to connect to it through vmware

Quote Originally Posted by xnoor View Post
    i guess that u need to install the wireless device driver on windows first, then try to connect to it through vmware
    I guess(not really) you're completely freaking wrong.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Just burned his ISO

Yes, I have given control to virtual machines and that is why when I run lsusb thru terminal then i get the following:

Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
    Bus 001 Device 003: ID 1737:0077 Linksys
    Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
    I have installed latest wireless driver on windows side first and make sure that it can connect to my wireless router.

Any other idea to try?

Thanks,

Just burned his ISO

Default Re: Vmware Problems with Networking

I am using BT4-Beta VM and I have found that to use networking, make sure whatever hardware you are using is connected to the network on the host OS (Windows) first. Then, start the VM. Next login with your credentials (default or whatever). Make sure networking is started with the "/etc/init.d/networking start" command. BT4 should say that it acquired an ip via DHCP. Finally, startx and check a known good website (Google is what I use) and verify that it is working.

I have found that trying to get a wireless interface working from within a VM is darn near a nightmare!

ifconfig eth0 up
    dhclient eth0
    ping google.com
    echo bash is faster
    Using backtrack for the first time is like being 10 years old again with the keys to a Ferrari.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by b0N3s View Post
    I am using BT4-Beta VM and I have found that to use networking, make sure whatever hardware you are using is connected to the network on the host OS (Windows) first. Then, start the VM. Next login with your credentials (default or whatever). Make sure networking is started with the "/etc/init.d/networking start" command. BT4 should say that it acquired an ip via DHCP. Finally, startx and check a known good website (Google is what I use) and verify that it is working.

I have found that trying to get a wireless interface working from within a VM is darn near a nightmare!
    Check this out tutorial.... damn i can't add the link coz im new.
    Anyways the video can be found once on youtube.
    type /watch?v=ICwTdOgszA8
    Hope this helps.

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by music5_5 View Post
    Yes, I have given control to virtual machines and that is why when I run lsusb thru terminal then i get the following:

I have installed latest wireless driver on windows side first and make sure that it can connect to my wireless router.

Any other idea to try?

Thanks,
    Try plugging into and getting it recognized first in windows. But do not establish any connections with it. Just that it is recognized is enough.
    Then on vm make sure that the machine has control of the adapter.
    Then boot the vm up. Before doing startx or any of that crap that does not matter check dmseg to see if it is recognized. Also during boot up it should show the wireless adapters being brought up.
    After you see that it is recognized you can go from there.
    If it is not recognized before doing anything else check again that the machine has control of the adapter. Generally in windows when you plug in a usb device it makes a little sound. You should also here this sound when it is unplugged, try to listen for that as well when the vm boots up. There should be some indication that the vm has taken control of the device. Either in windows or the vm itself.
    Once you try that let me know what happened.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast