Thread: [Need Help]Setting up network connection.

Just burned his ISO

Default [Need Help]Setting up network connection.

I have recently installed backtrack4 beta, it's all working good so far except I can't get it to connect to the internet / a network, it pings localhost ok, but when I start KNetworkManager, it says 'NetworkManager Not Running'. Have no idea what is wrong.

Any ideas?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LuCiEN View Post
    I have recently installed backtrack4 beta, it's all working good so far except I can't get it to connect to the internet / a network, it pings localhost ok, but when I start KNetworkManager, it says 'NetworkManager Not Running'. Have no idea what is wrong.

Any ideas?
    Thanks
    This is a common problem that can be solved by using this.
    "\x74\x68\x65\x70\x72\x65\x7a\x39\x38";

s4mps0n

Wow that was really. helpful. What was the purpose of having a forum again?

If you don't know the answer and aren't willing to help, your better off to just not say anything at all.

I mean, if it is so common and you can't be bothered to answer, why not link to a specific thread that covers the subject instead of a lame ass reply like linking to search.........

So guy, you should start using your brain or the search button

/etc/init.d/NetworkManager start

Quote Originally Posted by s4mps0n View Post

If you don't know the answer and aren't willing to help, your better off to just not say anything at all.

I mean, if it is so common and you can't be bothered to answer, why not link to a specific thread that covers the subject instead of a lame ass reply like linking to search.........
    That's lame to see always same stupids questions which have been already answered 1000x

Quote Originally Posted by s4mps0n View Post

Lol! You created a new account only to say that? That's lame...

Just burned his ISO

Question what is the difference ?

/etc/init.d/networking start

and

/etc/init.d/NetworkManager start

what is the difference, between them????????
    with regards
    Nirmal jose ;)

Just burned his ISO

Hey guys, I am having a similar problem. I have googled everything, I have looked through so many forums my eyes hurt. I previously used backtrack 3 and I am familliar with it's wireless assistant. I recently downloaded a copy of BT4 iso, and first was running as a live cd, but decided to install to my HD. I aswell can not make the network manager start.

I have tried the /etc/init.d/networking start. I have tried /etc/init.d/networkmanager start. I have tried running it from "x" and nothing works. I have tried doing this from the live distro as well, thinking that could have something to do with it because everyone I read about on every forum either is using it on cd, usb, or Vmare.

Umm, I am not in BT4 right now, obvisously, or I wouldn't be able to get on here and post, but if I remember right, it says something about trying port, or interval, or something several times, but nothing happens. I know this is probably something very minor, and I know this is not a how to guide forum, but I am at my witts end here. I really have tried everything I can think of.

I know my wireless card is compatible because I can use it to crack my own wep key, just can't start a network.. Heck, can't even look at the available networks.

If you need the exact message I get when I try those commands, let me know, and I will hop back over into linux, and paste them in a txt file and put it on a thumb drive and bring it over to post. Just didn't want to waste my time with that if anyone knows a simple fix.

Thanks for your time guys.