Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: BT4 Stuck at white screen after startx command

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Just burned his ISO
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    19

    Default BT4 Stuck at white screen after startx command

    Hi,

    when I boot with the BT4 DVD everything is OK until i start booting into KDE. When type "startx" system starts loading but right after that i get a white screen. I can hear the DVD-ROM reading from the disc and also the sound "Finish Him" but at this moment all i get is a white screen.

    I have also tried "bt4-crystal" command but no luck.

    Monitor: Samsun LCD 1280 x 1024 @ Max 75 Hz
    VGA: ATI 4870 X2


    Thanks in advance.

  2. #2
    Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    8,012

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cool_recep View Post
    "startx"
    Monitor: Samsun LCD 1280 x 1024 @ Max 75 Hz
    VGA: ATI 4870 X2
    Google the above for more info.
    You need to configure the x-server for your monitor. and graphics card.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

  3. #3
    Moderator KMDave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    2,281

    Default

    You definately have your driver not set up correctly. I know that behaviour quite well and something is not correctly set.
    Tiocfaidh ár lá

  4. #4
    Just burned his ISO
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    19

    Default

    Thank you for your replies but I have googled for the problem, found a lot of solutions but all they say is configure x-server.

    But none of them tell how to do it I have visited about 30 topics and all i got was to get into x-server configuration where i was only able to configure my keyboard.

    I don't like always asking questions but there are a lot of linux distros and different commands. And i am totally newbie, coming from the windows world where i didn't had to type a bunch of commands to configure my driver

    Further help needed.

    Thank you for your understanding.

  5. #5
    Moderator KMDave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    2,281

    Default

    Well then, BT is not the distro to start with. It will give you more headaches than you are loooking for or can imagine.

    By the way why do you want to use BT at all? A well meant hint, try to start with an easier to use distro at first else you will be overwhelmed.
    Tiocfaidh ár lá

  6. #6
    Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    8,012

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cool_recep View Post
    Thank you for your replies but I have googled for the problem, found a lot of solutions but all they say is configure x-server.
    But none of them tell how to do it I have visited about 30 topics and all i got was to get into x-server configuration where i was only able to configure my keyboard.
    I don't like always asking questions but there are a lot of linux distros and different commands. And i am totally newbie, coming from the windows world where i didn't had to type a bunch of commands to configure my driver
    Further help needed.
    Thank you for your understanding.
    Generally speaking after you find the problem then you start working on the fix.
    Don't you tell me that you didn't find a single tutorial on how to configure the x-server in Linux especially ubuntu. That just means you didn't try hard enough.
    Two options go find a tutorial on it or give up. The choice is yours.
    Further more if you are a newbie then I would suggest you follow KMDave's advice.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

  7. #7
    Just burned his ISO
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by archangel.amael View Post
    Generally speaking after you find the problem then you start working on the fix.
    Don't you tell me that you didn't find a single tutorial on how to configure the x-server in Linux especially ubuntu. That just means you didn't try hard enough.
    Two options go find a tutorial on it or give up. The choice is yours.
    Further more if you are a newbie then I would suggest you follow KMDave's advice.
    I will not give up. I will try harder and write the ultra noobish tutorial myself when i got succeed.

    Thank you. I am on the way.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •