Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tutorial: Injection with ZyDAS 1211 and 1211b (zd1211)

Just burned his ISO

@Snayler, can you specify which of the patches failed (the error message) and how do you apply them? What prompted you to think it fails, because it works here.

@themaster - something obviously is very wrong. 17,000 ivs for 10 hours??? I would collect 17,000 ivs in less the thirty seconds. Collecting data that slow means you're nto injecting or you're not associated with the AP.

A word on the power readings. BackTrack 4 has power readings but they are incorrectly implemented. Level indications on the zd1211 should be in negative value, whereas on BT4 they are positive - thus incorrect.

By default patching the zd1211rw for injection with compat-wireless will nullify your power level detection and disable it completely. The new patch which is a test patch aims to provide correct negative readings. It's not 100% technically correct, however it's as close as it gets at this point.

Just burned his ISO

I'm almost 100% that my power readings were wrong.. with the new -95 and such.. I mean what does -95 mean? -5 from no signal at all?

I can show you a screenshot between the two if you want.. it just seems like to me they were reported wrong.. and made it hard to read the data..

Just burned his ISO

themaster,

The negative values as the term "negative" would suggest that the strongest signal is closer to zero "0". Meaning a signal of -45 is stronger than a signal measuring with, say, -65.

However, one of the positive things about the patch is that it allows customization. For example if your signal is measured to -55 but you believe it actually is -35, then you can edit the patch by changing the following:

Code:
    stats.signal = stats.signal - 105;
    decrease "105" to "85" and apply the patch again. Doing so will bring down your pwr level readings to the desired "-35" mentioned in above example.

Just burned his ISO

Yah, I'm pretty sure and I'll double check that when my router was only 4 feet away it registered like -55 or something like that..

Quote Originally Posted by SliCk View Post
    @Snayler, can you specify which of the patches failed (the error message) and how do you apply them? What prompted you to think it fails, because it works here.
    First i used compat-wireless-2.6.31 (i think), and the second patch failed to be applied. Then i downloaded compat-wireless-(date of the day i downloaded it) and the 2 patches went fine, but it fails when i used make. I'll try again with compat-wireless-2.6.30, but for now I'm struggling to update my kernel and make vmtools work with it, so when i can i'll try and post here the results.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by themaster View Post
    Yah, I'm pretty sure and I'll double check that when my router was only 4 feet away it registered like -55 or something like that..
    Make use of the above explanation and fix the readings to your liking.
    Quote Originally Posted by Snayler View Post
    First i used compat-wireless-2.6.31 (i think), and the second patch failed to be applied. Then i downloaded compat-wireless-(date of the day i downloaded it) and the 2 patches went fine, but it fails when i used make. I'll try again with compat-wireless-2.6.30, but for now I'm struggling to update my kernel and make vmtools work with it, so when i can i'll try and post here the results.
    The patches are designed for the compat-wireless mentioned in the tutorial.

The patches are designed for the compat-wireless mentioned in the tutorial.
    Yes, but i can't find the 2.6. If i click on the "compat-wireless-2.6.tar.bz2" it will forward me to "wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Download". Oh, now i saw my mistake. I was downloading the "stable compat-wireless releases – based on stable kernels for kernels >= 2.6.27" and i should download "compat-wireless-old – for kernels 2.6.22 up to 2.6.26", because 2.6.26 is bt4 kernel. Am I right? Anyway, after i finish updating my kernel, I'll try that. I'm having some trouble installing vmtools on the new kernel and I'm now trying to update the kernel from a fresh installation of BT4, to see if it works with vmtools.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by Snayler View Post
    Yes, but i can't find the 2.6. If i click on the "compat-wireless-2.6.tar.bz2" it will forward me to "wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Download". Oh, now i saw my mistake. I was downloading the "stable compat-wireless releases – based on stable kernels for kernels >= 2.6.27" and i should download "compat-wireless-old – for kernels 2.6.22 up to 2.6.26", because 2.6.26 is bt4 kernel. Am I right? Anyway, after i finish updating my kernel, I'll try that. I'm having some trouble installing vmtools on the new kernel and I'm now trying to update the kernel from a fresh installation of BT4, to see if it works with vmtools.
    No, you need compat-wireless not compt-wireless-old.

No, you need compat-wireless not compt-wireless-old.
    Still with crappy injection... 1%, 20%, max 43%...

Just burned his ISO

Code:
    12:36:32  Ping (min/avg/max): 1.396ms/9.917ms/31.853ms Power: -46.07
    12:36:32  29/30:  96%
    I don't have that problem.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast