Thread: Share 1 internet connection

Hybrid View

Just burned his ISO

Exclamation Share 1 internet connection

Hi i am using backtrack3 final and i have seen on the net
    that you can share 1 internet connection by using coyote linux

and have heard you can do it with other distros as well.
    so i was wondering if anyone nows a way to do this in backtrack

thanks in advance

You can do this in nearly any version of Linux. However, your question is not specific. Define sharing? Heck, a cheap router allows you to share one internet connection, and routers like the WRT54GL just happen to run linux.

So, why use backtrack for this? If you need to share the internet, why not use a router? Or, does your ISP mandate an internal card?

Very good friend of the forum Virchanza's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Flibble View Post
    So, why use backtrack for this? If you need to share the internet, why not use a router? Or, does your ISP mandate an internal card?

Just as an aside, I plan on using Backtrack 4 for everything. It's gonna be my main OS, used for doing everything a PC can possibly do. I'm gonna watch Trailer Park Boys, gonna burn DVD's, gonna surf the web, gonna do pentesting, all that crap. . .

Back to the point though:

Any Linux distribution be set up to act as a router, with the option of using Network Address Translation (NAT) or not. It involves the use of IP Masquerading which is built into the kernel. I did a web search just there and came up with the following:

http://everything2.com/title/Sharing...with%2520Linux

http://www.howtoforge.com/internet-c...ading-on-linux

(I haven't read either article but it seems to be what you're looking for)
    Ask questions on the open forums, that way everybody benefits from the solution, and everybody can be corrected when they make mistakes. Don't send me private messages asking questions that should be asked on the open forums, I won't respond. I decline all "Friend Requests".