Thread: Save configuration on ext3 partition?

Default Save configuration on ext3 partition?

First of all I'm sorry if this question has already been answered but I have scoured the forums for answers without any luck;

I currently have a partition on my hd containing a linux based OS (ubuntu) and also vista.

Now from what I have been able to understand you should be able to save your config (I'm using a dvd with bt 4 beta) on any linux based file system, but as the newbie I am I can't get it to work;

On boot up I can see that bt is trying to use /dev/sda2 for what I am guessing is saving a config file or thus, however here lies a ntfs based system.

My linux partition is on /dev/sda6

Is there a way to reroute this by command?
    If so please post it

Also if I this is a possibility I guess I would have to manually change this every time if I don't burn a new dvd with the file edited. If so where would I find this file?

Thanks a lot - A newbie

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LuxFloss View Post
    First of all I'm sorry if this question has already been answered but I have scoured the forums for answers without any luck;
    I currently have a partition on my hd containing a linux based OS (ubuntu) and also vista.
    Now from what I have been able to understand you should be able to save your config (I'm using a dvd with bt 4 beta) on any linux based file system, but as the newbie I am I can't get it to work;
    On boot up I can see that bt is trying to use /dev/sda2 for what I am guessing is saving a config file or thus, however here lies a ntfs based system.
    My linux partition is on /dev/sda6
    Is there a way to reroute this by command?
    If so please post it
    Also if I this is a possibility I guess I would have to manually change this every time if I don't burn a new dvd with the file edited. If so where would I find this file?
    Thanks a lot - A newbie
    Are you talking about a changes partition?
    What do you mean by "save a config"
    Also during the boot up sequence BT may try to mount any and all drives it finds available through the fstab.
    What command are you wanting to "reroute" ?

Please provide a bit more info.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Yes I'm sorry, should have been a bit more clear;

I mean a changes partition, but I was under the assumption that "changes" could be saved without creating a changes partition if one already possessed a ext2 or ext3 partition, but I guess this is just me being retarded

The "regular" way that Ive read about, which is described in a post by deathray* is to change /boot/syslinux/syslinux.cfg in order to create a reference point for changes. This still creates the problem if booting from a cd, because it isn't editable.

I guess what I'm trying to say is; is there anyway access my dev/sda6 (linux partition) on the fly and use it to save my changes?

Sorry if the post got even more confusing. :/

* I cant post URLs since I don't meet the reqs; however here is the original post by deathray:

Just a summary of what I did for other people looking for help.
    This made my 2 gb USB Pen Drive boot BT3 beta and save every change I made on the same disk it was booted from.

In order to have backtrack save changes to the same drive it is booted from, it
    should have at least 1.2 gb. If the usb pen drive has less than this, do not worry, you can make the changes get saved to your hard disk.
    For that, please follow shamanvirtuel's tutorial farther up.

Step 1. Split the usb pen drive into 2 partitions*. First partition (A) should be precisely 1 gb and FAT32 filesystem. Second partition (B) should have the remaining diskspace and be in EXT2 filesystem.

Step 2. Copy bt3 and boot directory to partition A.

Step 3. Manually create folder "changes" at root directory of partition B.

Step 4. Execute /boot/bootinst.sh

Step 5. Open terminal and CD to /boot/syslinux on partition A. Type
    Code:

chmod +Xx lilo
    chmod +Xx syslinux

Step 6. Open /boot/syslinux/syslinux.cfg
    At the end of the APPEND line, under the mod you are planning to use. (Example KDE or simply text mode), add:
    changes=/dev/XXX
    XXX Should be replaced with the name of partition B on the USB Pendrive.
    In my case, /dev/sdb2.
    SAVE SYSLINUX.CFG

Step 7. Reboot and select the mode where you added the changes mod from step 6.
    Credit goes to SV + rest in this thread, who helped me get it to work

*I used qtparted from backtrack to split the usb into 2 partitions(easy with user interface). You could also follow DaKahuna's guide further down.
    backtrack 3 beta bt3 usb save changes usb drive persistent changes save configurations to usb pen drive

Problem fixed with a n00b factor.

Reburned the dvd with an edited syslinux.cfg pointing to where I wanted it.

I guess I'll try to get it onto an usb stick instead.

Anyway thanks for the help.

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Nice to see that you got it to work.
    Also the above post and the weird font makes it rather difficult to read.
    As such I did not even try.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.