Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: SpoonWEP Question

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    39

    Default SpoonWEP Question

    Using SpoonWEP testing a 128 bit WEP key, Collected 33k IVs. And it is taking hours to crack. I know my WEP key is not that complicated.

    Should I use another crack software? Where are spoonwep's cap files located?

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    2,008

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by toohxc View Post
    Using SpoonWEP testing a 128 bit WEP key, Collected 33k packets. And it is taking hours to crack. I know my WEP key is not that complicated.

    Should I use another crack software? Where are spoonwep's cap files located?
    SpoonWEP is basically a graphical frontend, and a very nice one I might add, for the aircrack-ng suite, which pretty much is the best tool for cracking WEP/WPA encryption out there. As the size of the packets can vary a great deal it is the number of IVS that you need to look at, how many have you collected so far? Chances are that you need to collect more to be able to crack the key, as a 128 bit key should not take that long to find using enough IVS.
    -Monkeys are like nature's humans.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    39

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by =Tron= View Post
    SpoonWEP is basically a graphical frontend, and a very nice one I might add, for the aircrack-ng suite, which pretty much is the best tool for cracking WEP/WPA encryption out there. As the size of the packets can vary a great deal it is the number of IVS that you need to look at, how many have you collected so far? Chances are that you need to collect more to be able to crack the key, as a 128 bit key should not take that long to find using enough IVS.
    My mistake I am up to 35k IVs.

    I tried doing a search for *.cap and did not find the capture files. SpoonWEP reports that it is still "Cracking WEP" and the WS Dump screen shows that it is still injecting and spoonwep's GUI show the current IV count. I am wondering if maybe the cracking is stopped until I hit 40k IVs?

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    2,008

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by toohxc View Post
    My mistake I am up to 35k IVs.

    I tried doing a search for *.cap and did not find the capture files. SpoonWEP reports that it is still "Cracking WEP" and the WS Dump screen shows that it is still injecting and spoonwep's GUI show the current IV count. I am wondering if maybe the cracking is stopped until I hit 40k IVs?
    35 000 is rarely enough IVS to crack a 128 bit WEP key so just keep collecting. And yes, if I remember correctly aircrack-ng (and therefore also SpoonWEP) will re-attempt to crack the key every 5 000 IVS.

    Also, the cap file currently processed by SpoonWEP should be found in the following directory if my memory serves me right:
    /usr/local/bin/wifispoonfeeder/spoonwep/lastattack/
    -Monkeys are like nature's humans.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    39

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by =Tron= View Post
    35 000 is rarely enough IVS to crack a 128 bit WEP key so just keep collecting. And yes, if I remember correctly aircrack-ng (and therefore also SpoonWEP) will re-attempt to crack the key every 5 000 IVS.

    Also, the cap file currently processed by SpoonWEP should be found in the following directory:
    /usr/local/bin/wifispoonfeeder/spoonwep/lastattack/
    See I thought that 20k seemed sort of low for it to start cracking at... I guess I will let it run and see what happens. Maybe I'll get lucky at 40k.

    Thanks for the quick help Tron.

  6. #6
    Just burned his ISO
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    8

    Default

    how long did it take you to get the 40k IVs? im trying the same thing and just trying to get an estimate how long 128 is going to take.

    thanks

  7. #7
    Just burned his ISO
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1

    Default

    Hello, I have had the same problem where spoonwep seems to take a long time working out my AP's WEP key, it is only 64 bits long, and I have cracked this manualy using the console commands in under 3 minutes, so I am confused as to why this is taking a very long time. I have used a client mac adrress of 00:11:22:33:44:66 and the taget is obviously my routers MAC.

    I have waited and looked at the dump window and collected over 200000 packets, even then it failed to crack my WEP key. It displays that it is cracking.... but is it? is there a way, like looking at the dump display, to actualy seeing aircrack in action? I like the idea of this tool, shame im having this problem.

    Any advice to remedy this problem would be apreciated.

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    43

    Default

    @kaboooom2000uk
    The client mac address is supposed to be the mac of a client already connected and authenticated with the AP. I'm doubting 00:11:22:33:44:66 is the mac address of another computer connected to the AP on your network.

    I don't think this is the defining reason why you're not able to crack your WEP key, but it could be contributing. Try fixing that and see if you have any luck.

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    81

    Default --

    I crack my 128bit wep router with about 100000 ivs, depending on cpu power this should only take a couple of minutes, even with my old eee pc 640mhz it´t done under 10min in total included replay and calculating.
    Are you using soonwep2?


    edit:
    I fired up my old belkin router and set for 128bit wep, spoonwep2 cracked the key in under 2min counting from the moment it started to replay ivs. running on my atom (1.6ghz) based netbook

    then did the same thing with airoscript and when it was done it had collected 68000 ivs.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •