Thread: /etc/init.d/networking start problem?

Hybrid View

Just burned his ISO

Default /etc/init.d/networking start problem?

Hi I am new and was looking all over and couldn't fine anything. I made a new user name on backtrack and gave it all privligaes. Well when i try to type /etc/init.d/networking start is says permission denied. but as Root it works fine. Any ideas? Thanks

Default Re: /etc/init.d/networking start problem?

Use the sudo command: " sudo /etc/init.d/networking start " . For further reading "man sudo"

are you trying to use this as your desktop operating system...

that isn't the intended purpose of this distro most things are meant to run as root. if you messed with permissions and dont know this part of linux you might have a mess on your hands... anywhoo

you want to su or sudo your command which will proxy the command as "root" you dont run this command as a user

you might want to consider using ubuntu and not backtrack as your desktop environment as its more suited for that for the beginning user. understand that backtrack isnt a "new linux" its ubuntu with a lot of custom work done for you already.

so in recap... learn linux, run your command as su or sudo backtrack should be used as root.

alternatively you can do a 'ifconfig eth? up" and a "dhclient" but again as su or sudo or root.

goog terms to google - ubuntu networking beginners

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by imsorrisuck View Post
    Hi I am new and was looking all over and couldn't fine anything. I made a new user name on backtrack and gave it all privligaes. Well when i try to type /etc/init.d/networking start is says permission denied. but as Root it works fine. Any ideas? Thanks
    i'm also new with with linux but i believe if you use sudo it will work. try sudo /etc/init.d/networking start

if you was looking all over then you would know that your new user needs to run certain commands as root /etc/init.d/networking start is one of them
    HP DV7
    8GB DDR3
    Core i7-720QM
    Nvidia GeForce GT 320M

BT5-64bit x WIN7-64bit DualBoot

Quote Originally Posted by imsorrisuck View Post
    Working as designed. I went to a fair amount of effort to document the type of problems you might run into running BackTrack as a non root user here, so maybe you should put in the effort to read it.

If you search the Net Im sure you will also find other references explaining the requirement to run certain system tasks in Linux as root.

Thread closed.
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.