Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Network Security, some questions

so I am only on the first example, but he says that you have eax, pcx, edx, ebx, esp, ebp, esi, and edi as the first eight pointers in the register but when I run the same command in ubuntu I get completely different names for those registers. I get rax, rbx, rcx, rdx, rsi, rdi, rbp, and rsp as my first eight.
    For information on register naming etc try checking here:
    http://www.swansontec.com/sregisters.html
    http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/...objdump.1.html
    http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/...x86info.1.html

I'm pretty sure the difference you're seeing is due to 32bit vs 64bit CPUs.
    Quote Originally Posted by ubuntuforums.org
    However, general-purpose registers are able to work with either 32-bit or 64-bit operands. If a 32-bit operand size is specified: EAX, EBX, ECX, EDX, EDI, ESI, ... If a 64-bit operand size is specified: RAX, RBX, ...
    Note the above URLs and quote were a simple google away.

Quote Originally Posted by Polorboy View Post
    I really am kind of surprised at what has taken place here. I asked a simple question, add a little bit extra info, and people get annoyed by it?

I was expecting to be dealing with people who are professionals and treat each other as such. Granted, I am new to this particular forum, I am not however new to forums in general. I am an active member in several dozen other forums and I have never ever treated someone like this. At least I can give lupin some credit for trying to clarify things for me. This is just down right rediculous. Who ever said I didn't have a system that would not boot, I am on this forum correct? That must mean I am using a computer, and by that logic I must have a computer that works?
    Welcome to 2009, as you've pointed out you are posting therefore why is it such a leap for anyone to believe: a) You have a second computer, b) You went to school, a library, a internet cafe, etc. c) You have friends, family, colleagues, etc.

Anyway... I am guessing that I am not going to get any help whatsoever from anyone on these forums becuase a lot of you seem very impressed with yourselves and feel someone like me is "below" you and you therefore cannot help.
    "me is below you" that's just too funny.

My other post in the newbie forum, I have yet to get a reasonable response. All I got there was that my post didn't make sense and I was pretty much told to start from scratch.
    The answer not being what you were looking for does not invalidate the answer.
    Well, I went ahead and tried to explain what I meant, included the tutorial I was following, and nothing. A lot of you guys probably think your some kind of "l33t hakzor" or what ever you want to call it. I have no delusions of grandure, I know for a fact that I know little to nothing about this and I want to learn. It seems though that every time I have tried to get a question answered here, it is either I didn't word it properly or someone just doesn't like my question. That is just to bad. I have no tolorance for people who think they are better than someone else, for what ever reason. If we are going to try to impress people here, how about this, I am ranked in the 88th percentile (top 13 percent if you don't know what that means) in the US for cognative ability, my IQ (last I tested it) was 145, I currently have a 4.0 GPA in college going for my second degree.
    Here's the catch, we're very happy for you in those accomplishments (at least I am), but if you can't use google and articulate your question etc in a half decent manner then you shouldn't be surprised by the types of responses you're getting.
    That gets me nothing though, I know people who would make 99% of you guys here look like complete idiots, they make me feel like a complete moron.
    Congrats to you and them! Feel free to pick their brains if you're so unhappy dealing with people here. Everyone here volunteers their time and effort and none of them owe you anything.
    I am not impressed by someone's status on a web forum,
    Someone asked/expected you to be?
    if they are a senior member, or what ever they are anywhere. I am impressed by how people handle themselves interacting with others. How a person treats others. Ever heard the saying "Do to others as you would have them do to you" ? I am really annoyed and kind of shocked at the reaction I have gotten.
    Seems to me you've gotten exactly what you've given.
    This thread has gone completely in the wrong direction because people are more concerned with how I worded a question or that I had two somewhat similar questions, rather than trying to answer at least one of them. You know a better response could have gone something like, this is an answer to one of your questions, if you want to ask something else, put it in a new post, thanks.
    I can agree with most of that.

I can't speak for everyone but my interpretation is:
    1) The long multi-topic paragraphs with extraneous information just annoy people.
    2) Your question/problem is unclear (perhaps because it's buried within so much other text and detail).
    3) You immediately went on the offensive after two replies, which led to the derailment of the thread. (This partially goes the the last point I quoted above, yes perhaps sometimes we don't give people their due but if you read a lot of what is encountered around here it shouldn't surprise you.)
    I'm a compulsive post editor, you might wanna wait until my post has been online for 5-10 mins before quoting it as it will likely change.

I know I seem harsh in some of my replies. SORRY! But if you're doing something illegal or posting something that seems to be obvious BS I'm going to call you on it.

tl;dr

welcome to the forum
    Using backtrack for the first time is like being 10 years old again with the keys to a Ferrari.

Well, to narrow this back down to one question, I have been reading the same pages several times over in the book that I got trying to really understand it. I did a wiki search and found a somewhat useful page : h t t p://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X86#x86_registers , which shows that the ones I am seeing are the same as the ones in the book, just labeled different.

I guess I should appologize for going on the definsive right away. I have had a very stressful past few weeks. Studying for the CCNA, A+, Net+, MCSA, Finals, and this, it has not been easy.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12