Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Secure Wifi

Quote Originally Posted by Static View Post
    So, there are no advantages of changing firmware to this one (DD-WRT)?!
    No advantage in relation to security? No not really.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

It does add easy vpn support, and the ability to select the transmit power options ... other than that barry is correct.

You should watch out tho because its easy to misconfigure something with ddwrt and bonk your security .. i would also disable the default splash screen, and of course change or disable the ssid.
    Using backtrack for the first time is like being 10 years old again with the keys to a Ferrari.

Quote Originally Posted by vvpalin View Post
    It does add easy vpn support, and the ability to select the transmit power options ... other than that barry is correct.

You should watch out tho because its easy to misconfigure something with ddwrt and bonk your security .. i would also disable the default splash screen, and of course change or disable the ssid.
    I'd stay away from the transmit power settings. Increasing the power usually just increases the noise more than anything. Though having the ability to decrease the power is handy. "Hiding" the ssid really doesn't do anything other than slowing down your initial connection, I'm pretty sure it also screws with the hand off between access points if you have more than one.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    I'd stay away from the transmit power settings. Increasing the power usually just increases the noise more than anything. Though having the ability to decrease the power is handy. "Hiding" the ssid really doesn't do anything other than slowing down your initial connection, I'm pretty sure it also screws with the hand off between access points if you have more than one.
    Barry is correct.

• Increasing power via firmware is trouble for a couple of reasons. First of all, the signal as set by the factory is usually optimal for the final stage of the transmitter. Secondly, unless you know more about RF than average, by increasing the the RF power settings you'll just end up with a dirty signal, consume more electricity, shorten the AP's life, and won't get a huge increase in range. You would be better off learning how to correctly optimize the antenna(s) for your particular setup.
    • "Hiding" the SSID doesn't do anything for security, since the SSID can still be seen on passive scanners; but it will kill your Roaming capability.
    Thorn
    Stop the TSA now! Boycott the airlines.

Quote Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
    Barry is correct.
    [*]"Hiding" the SSID doesn't do anything for security, since the SSID can still be seen on passive scanners; but it will kill your Roaming capability.
    I thought you had to brute force the ssid if the AP was using WPA2, also i wasnt suggesting increasing range as thats worthless for security and counterproductive .. However you could also just do that as i have on mine by removing one of the antennas and placing a windsurfer on the other one pointed at where you use the laptop.

As for why do all this stuff ... i do it mainly just for fun, and besides we all know the government has wifi sniffing satellites
    Using backtrack for the first time is like being 10 years old again with the keys to a Ferrari.

I thought you had to brute force the ssid if the AP was using WPA2
    No. The SSID is always transmitted in the clear. It is designed that way in the 802.11 standard, and it has to be that way, otherwise your computer wouldn't know what network it was talking to.

also i wasnt suggesting increasing range as thats worthless for security and counterproductive .. However you could also just do that as i have on mine by removing one of the antennas and placing a windsurfer on the other one pointed at where you use the laptop.
    The Windsurfer reflector is a good example of signal shaping to increase range, as opposed to increasing RF power.

As for why do all this stuff ... i do it mainly just for fun, and besides we all know the government has wifi sniffing satellites
    Right. The only option is to go underground. ;-)
    Thorn
    Stop the TSA now! Boycott the airlines.

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Quote Originally Posted by Thorn View Post

Right. The only option is to go underground. ;-)
    I should have my ground penetrating Wifi detector ready for market by early Fall.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    I should have my ground penetrating Wifi detector ready for market by early Fall.
    I wonder if they use wifi on the space station?

And what about connection stability? According to some websites, users claim that. Truth or myth?

What are your experiences of firmware changing?

Quote Originally Posted by Static View Post
    And what about connection stability? According to some websites, users claim that. Truth or myth?

What are your experiences of firmware changing?
    I've not seen any differences with stability either way. I've got two wrt54g's with dd-wrt on them. My main one is just used as an access point, I could technically just use the stock firmware and not see any difference. My other one is the one I've hacked on a sd card reader and a serial gps, you can't do that with the stock firmware.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12