Thread: Two Wifi Cards - Need Help

Default Two Wifi Cards - Need Help

OK Ill bite my pride and ask an ultra n00b qustion. Point blank "How do you get a 1 card into managed mode and the other into monitor mode." Would like to get theis working with BT4. This is what I am doing but all goes to crap.

Killall (NetworkManager etc etc)

modprobe rtl8187
    ifconfig wlan0 up
    iwpriv wlan0 get_site_survey
    iwpriv wlan0 set NetworkType=Infra
    iwpriv wlan0 set AuthMode="WPAPSK"
    iwpriv wlan0 set EncrypType="TKIP"
    iwpriv wlan0 set SSID="T0><1c"
    iwpriv wlan0 set WPAPSK="bigassstring"
    dhclient wlan0

OK fine I now got my wlan0 working. Can surf on wlan0

Then I try to put my ath0 (AR5001x works fine in BT) into monitor mode and all goes to crap.
    airmon-ng start ath0 sees my wlan0 and starts doing lame stuff like making vaps called mon0, wifi0..blah.

Alfa awus036h 500mw (rtl8187 or r8187 drivers got em both and blacklist what I am not using at the time) as wlan0
    Dlink chipset AR5001x (madwifi) as ath0

I have done some custom work with iw reg set SE in local.rc etc. So I have ch 1-13 etc. Can't see why that would be a problem but it is worth noting.

All the best
    onryo
    Let me explain officer, I am not a hacker. I am a security tester of sorts!

Quote Originally Posted by onryo View Post
    OK Ill bite my pride and ask an ultra n00b qustion. Point blank "How do you get a 1 card into managed mode and the other into monitor mode." Would like to get theis working with BT4. This is what I am doing but all goes to crap.

Killall (NetworkManager etc etc)

modprobe rtl8187
    ifconfig wlan0 up
    iwpriv wlan0 get_site_survey
    iwpriv wlan0 set NetworkType=Infra
    iwpriv wlan0 set AuthMode="WPAPSK"
    iwpriv wlan0 set EncrypType="TKIP"
    iwpriv wlan0 set SSID="T0><1c"
    iwpriv wlan0 set WPAPSK="bigassstring"
    dhclient wlan0

OK fine I now got my wlan0 working. Can surf on wlan0

Then I try to put my ath0 (AR5001x works fine in BT) into monitor mode and all goes to crap.
    airmon-ng start ath0 sees my wlan0 and starts doing lame stuff like making vaps called mon0, wifi0..blah.

Alfa awus036h 500mw (rtl8187 or r8187 drivers got em both and blacklist what I am not using at the time) as wlan0
    Dlink chipset AR5001x (madwifi) as ath0

I have done some custom work with iw reg set SE in local.rc etc. So I have ch 1-13 etc. Can't see why that would be a problem but it is worth noting.

All the best
    onryo

Shouldn't you be doing "airmon-ng start wifi0" and not the vap (ath0)?
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Been a while since I have been using legacy drivers. In this case madwifi. Stick with the mac80211 when I can. OMG you might be right! I think I was treating the madwi like the rtl8187. If it is something as bionicly stupid as:

Shouldn't you be doing "airmon-ng start wifi0" and not the vap (ath0)?
    I am going to hold my breath and commit suicide

All the same I might as well ask "Does anybody else do this and if so how do they do it" Most ppl here have an Alfa and a D-Link in their pentesting bag of tricks. It would be a nice "howto". When I get home tomarrow Ill look more into this. Thx Barry

All the best!
    onryo!

Quote Originally Posted by onryo View Post
    Been a while since I have been using legacy drivers. In this case madwifi. Stick with the mac80211 when I can. OMG you might be right! I think I was treating the madwi like the rtl8187. If it is something as bionicly stupid as:

I am going to hold my breath and commit suicide

All the same I might as well ask "Does anybody else do this and if so how do they do it" Most ppl here have an Alfa and a D-Link in their pentesting bag of tricks. It would be a nice "howto". When I get home tomarrow Ill look more into this. Thx Barry

All the best!
    onryo!
    I've actually not tried, one of my boxes has 4 wifi cards in it. Maybe this weekend I'll play around with it.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Thx Barry,
    Yup the problem was just what you mentioned Got 3 wifi card now running now. Two in monitor mode and one I am surfing on. I mentioned somebody should write a howto. I guess if everybody said that, linux would not exist. Ill get to it soon.

Killing your self by holding your breath is like suicide without the commitment

All the best!