Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: apt-get update screwes up BT4

Default apt-get update screwes up BT4

Ok, this is my problem I was running BT4 fine and all and I decided that I would update just to get the newest things, so I fixed the error that didnt allow me to and after that I ran apt-get update and waited, after it was done went to open konsle and it had an error saying it couldn't find it, I tried the file explorer (cant remember the name) and it also had the error i tried rebooting and when i tried to run startx it went to the black and white checkered screen and never moved anywhere else, is there a way to fix this or a different way to update im sure I did something wrong any help would be greatly appreciated.

DRK

HAHA yes! im not the only one. sorry to make light of this situation, but i thought i was going crazy or that my installer was causing this. im trying to figure out a fix now. i think it has something to do with the xinitrc file. gonna test it in about 10 mins and post the results. just hang tight.
    Until they become conscious they will never rebel, and until after they have rebelled they cannot become conscious...

thank you so much im glad im not the only one thanx and please tell me what happens if you need someone to test I can because i have a backup of my bt now and if something goes wrong i should (emphases on should dont no if the backup is reliable) be able to fix it quick.

You guys are both on crack! I've updated a couple times and my install still works. Unless they broke something in the last couple days....
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    You guys are both on crack! I've updated a couple times and my install still works. Unless they broke something in the last couple days....
    i think they might have as ive formatted and updated numerous times within the last 24 hours and same result over and over. after some work, i dont think its the xinitrc and am now completley stumped -_-
    Until they become conscious they will never rebel, and until after they have rebelled they cannot become conscious...

Quote Originally Posted by SuspectZero View Post
    i think they might have as ive formatted and updated numerous times within the last 24 hours and same result over and over. after some work, i dont think its the xinitrc and am now completley stumped -_-
    damn and I don't know near enough to make a difference, hey Barry have you tried updating in the last 24 hours?

Quote Originally Posted by dragracekid View Post
    damn and I don't know near enough to make a difference, hey Barry have you tried updating in the last 24 hours?
    Well not now! No, the box is down in the garage and it's pretty much bed time for me. I'll take a look at it tomorrow. Are you guys just doing an apt-get update, apt-get upgrade; or are you installing other stuff too?
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Well not now! No, the box is down in the garage and it's pretty much bed time for me. I'll take a look at it tomorrow. Are you guys just doing an apt-get update, apt-get upgrade; or are you installing other stuff too?
    i used synaptic and it was strict update, no other stuff. as for a temporary fix, install kdm, edit the kdm config file to allowrootlogins=true and log into kde through that. i must warn you, all the kde visual tweaks are gone :'(

Yeah, I did: apt-get update and apt-get upgrade, I also had the same problem as the other guys here, I just finished re-installing and figured I won't update or apt-get update & upgrade until this has been fixed, I have homework and test's and don't have the time to be tinkering.

Anyhow, I thought we were suppose to be doing this:
    "Most of the KDE "apt gettable" packages have "kde3" appended to their names. So "apt-get install kate-kde3" is good, "apt-get install kate" is bad. Use "apt-cache search " to search for packages to install," according to http://backtrack4.blogspot.com/2009/...o-release.html

Mh haven't had any issues with the upgrade.

Can't say anything about KDE anymore since I customized a lot on my image. Just did an update & upgrade. Everything seems to work fine even after a reboot.

Edit: Just noticed that quite some kde3 packages have been changed. So yeah it might have broken something during that for you.
    Tiocfaidh ár lá

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast