Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Backtrack4 password "toor" doesn't work!

Just burned his ISO

Default Backtrack4 password "toor" doesn't work!

I boot bt4 from DVD properly and do startx and everything works well but on Pass request, after a login with a "desktop user" profile account and a floppy mount attempt (with konqueror -> storages-> F5), root won't be accepted. How could it be and what could be the cause? Maybee some CRC/MD5 failure?

Default Re: Backtrack4 password "toor" doesn't work!

Just burned his ISO

Default Re: Password Invalid, Tried Everything

There is no problem at boot and no prob with startx. And Ok you are logged in already as root automatically. Everything seems well but you can not relog in (after logout) as root with "toor"? (in opposition to bt3, it was possible)
    Or another example. I added a standard "desktop user" account and tried to mount floppy (konqueror=>storage_media=>push<F5>), but typing "toor" at permission popup doesn't work again! This means (with my state of knowlege) i can not surf or use apps with restricted authorization in life-CD-mode. it simply doesn't work but better it should - or not? (Xchat did the Statement "to run as root is stupid") o_0

Maybee DVD content missing or some checksum-problem?

bt4 is in contrast with bt3 a much better working release but in bt3-Live-CD there was a smart info screen (like "type mc for MasterCommander or startx for such and such ...") after boot, and toor was working. Now there is nothing but promt. I mean there was a little more smartness for OS entrance.
    Last edited by roockie; 03-07-2010 at 03:43 AM.

Im sorry you must not have heard my post... I will re-post it in case you didn't understand. Your issue is that your image is corrupt, either on the disk or on the iso.

http://www.backtrack-linux.org/forum...-checking.html

Just burned his ISO

yes it makes sense! I bought a bundle of 25 low cost DVD-R's and this probably tell everything . OK i will first check the ISO and after that i burn it again.

hi,

first, how are you running bt4 - livecd, hdd install (assumed) or persistent?

have you added your "desktop user" to the admin group, or given it sudo privileges?

when you added your "desktop user" did you add it properly?

and lastly, search before you post, please. i've written tutorials on both of your problems, and they're posted both here in the forums and on the internets.
    xX_Spiidey_Xx's BT4 Tuts: Creating a privileged user in BackTrack 4

xX_Spiidey_Xx's BT4 Tuts: Resetting root password without login
    thou shalt treat all computers as thou wouldst treat thyself, for thou art the creator of thine own problems.

I'll add my comments in red...

Quote Originally Posted by roockie View Post
    There is no problem at boot and no prob with startx. And Ok you are logged in already as root automatically. Everything seems well but why i can not RE-login as root with "toor"?<-- What do you mean "re-login"? Another example? I added a standard "desktop user" account and tried to mount floppy (konqueror=>storage_media=>push<F5>), but typing toor at permission popup doesn't work again! <-- Use the "desktop user" password here. it simply doesn't work and how can it be? maybee DVD content missing or some checksum-problem?

bt4 is in contrast with bt3 a much better working release but in bt3 there was a userfriendly info screen (like "type mc for MasterCommander or startx for such and such ...") after boot, and toor was working. Why is it gone? Because BackTrack isn't made for people new to linux.

Someone with answers out there?
    Last edited by Barry; 03-04-2010 at 06:20 AM.

Just burned his ISO

Hi again,

at first, there is no problem at MD5-checksum and i have made a new disk but the pass problem is persisting furtermore.

xX_Spiidey_Xx wrote:
    first, how are you running bt4 - livecd, hdd install (assumed) or persistent?
    I was running bt4 as livecd.

have you added your "desktop user" to the admin group, or given it sudo privileges?
    no i didn't add it do admin group, it wasn't my intention to have another superuser account.
    Ok you meant doing "sudo nautilus/konqueror"? yea of course i didn't tought. i don't tried, because there pop's up a "give permission" window (and there i tried in vain and typed in both pass's "stdusrspass" or "toor").

when you added your "desktop user" did you add it properly?
    trough "user groups" in "K menu -> system" (if im not wrong)
    You choose simply "desktop user" and set a pass and that's it, there wasn't any problem.

No worry i used the search function ("toor password doesn't work") but didn't spend to much time in it and took the first best hit.

Barry wrote:
    Because BackTrack isn't made for people new to linux.
    OK but why it was so in the past? Ahhh a change in thinking? Did they now decide for the future to make it harder and harder and harder till the they don't need to offer anymore?? o_0 I don't think so My statement is, no matter if someone is a super crack insider or not every man made thing needs a entrance / introducion -(i mean it was something smart in that little Screen), where would be the mankind if both gender wouldn't have given instincts for reproduction hm? its a thinking worth
    Last edited by roockie; 03-07-2010 at 03:33 AM.

If your md5 id correct, then
    If you use cheap dvd-r's you can try burning at a realy slow speed, ex 2x or 4x
    it may take a while to burn but this is what I had to do to get a good burn..

Made alot of coasters with the cheap dvd's

Later after I threw the cheap disks away and bought some good quality ones
    I bumped up the burn speed and no problems...
    Just because you don't agree with it doesn't make it stupid

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by roockie View Post
    Barry wrote: Because BackTrack isn't made for people new to linux.

OK but why it was so in the past? Ahhh a change in thinking? Did they now decide for the future to make it harder and harder and harder till the they don't need to offer anymore?? My statement is, no matter if someone is a super crack insider or not every man made thing needs a entrance / introducion, where would be the mankind if both gender wouldn't have given instincts for reproduction ha? think about this.
    Well the rest of what you wrote I will leave alone but this part while it is an opinion it is one of someone who obviously does not know what they are talking about.
    One it is a lot easier then ever to get started running and using BT. It is your lack of searching and reading that is giving you problems.
    Second If you need an introduction then try looking at the faq section. That's why we made it. To give you an introduction.
    Third we do not care (at this forum for your thoughts on how reproductions takes place).
    Fourth and finally BackTrack is not designed for the beginner to linux. It's pretty much stated in thousands of place the internet over. Now granted no one is forbidding your from using it.
    We are however telling you that for a general purpose surf for pr0n and read your facebook there are better ways of doing it.
    And please don't bother to reply back to this. Just take it in stride.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast