Thread: Wicd wireless connection hang while using ALFA

Hybrid View

Just burned his ISO

Angry Wicd wireless connection hang while using ALFA

Hi every one

I'm having a problem with my ALFA wireless adapter, after connecting to the Internet the connection hang after loading the first page

I notice this problem when I update the kernel in the pre-final in order to make my SkyStar card working on BackTrack

after i found the driver to my SkyStar and i came back to the old kernel my wireless connection working fine

Now the BackTrack final having the same problem

Notice: the signal in the new kernel high and will not connect probably, the opposite in the old kernel low signal good connection

Default Re: Wicd wireless connection hang while using ALFA

Hi i used to have this same problem...And it was because i was a little too far away from the AP or there was obstructions like concrete in the path to the AP...if possible find a way to like go closer to where u think the AP might be..and u will be amazed....The signal strength might be good but the actual data for internet browsing is kinda ''heavier'' so obstructions will prevent the AP from hearing u properly and sending the packets.So u need to get closer or try a directional antenna connected to the alfa.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by platinumsteel View Post
    Hi i used to have this same problem...And it was because i was a little too far away from the AP or there was obstructions like concrete in the path to the AP...if possible find a way to like go closer to where u think the AP might be..and u will be amazed....The signal strength might be good but the actual data for internet browsing is kinda ''heavier'' so obstructions will prevent the AP from hearing u properly and sending the packets.So u need to get closer or try a directional antenna connected to the alfa.
    sorry for the late reply. I'm using the same distance in the old and new version even though in windows i can connect probably but in the new Wicd i cann't I'm using ALFA Wireless Adapter i think i will install the old version of Wicd

thanx for your response

should we stuck with forum code every time we reply or post

I have been having the same issue with that ALFA adapter. It happens when you connect with WICD and even if you connect using the terminal.

Once I got closer to my wireless router (like platinumsteel said), the problem went away. I still do not understand why because it worked fine from any distance on Pre Final. I tried using two different ALFA adapters and have not had any luck.

If you find a solution, please share.

Just burned his ISO

Exclamation Re: Wicd wireless connection hang while using ALFA

I have the same probleme.
    My AP (routeur) is just close to my ALFA network adapter (AWUS036H) !!!
    I tried with Network manager and WIFI Radar = I can associate with APs but cannot get an IP adress. SO the DHCP step fails ... in every case ...
    But i can inject, the network is started ... the ALFA card is recognized by system ...

Would it be a DRIVER issue ??????

When the access to AP is open (no WEP) it works ...

Than you for helping me, i made so much reserches ... without any answer ... or track ...
    Last edited by lupin; 02-27-2010 at 12:41 PM. Reason: Removed fancy formatting. Less is more with formatting morningstar...