Thread: Mac sniffer in BT3

Default Mac sniffer in BT3

I've been using BT3 for a while now and I think it is great. I would still consider myself a noob due to the amount of software packaged with it.

I have been pulling my hair out trying to get dhcpForce to work under wine but it doesn't look good.

Is there a mac sniffing application in BT3 that I am missing. I have tried to search for this but as you can imagine the words mac and sniffing/sniffer are used in alot of other apps in BT3.

As far as I can tell both wireshark and dsniff should be able to sniff out macs but before I put time into getting them working I would like to know they can, if not them then maybe another app.

I cant be the first person to try and sniff macs on a cable BB network using linux.

Thanks for the help

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Quote Originally Posted by TheLaw View Post
    As far as I can tell both wireshark and dsniff should be able to sniff out macs but before I put time into getting them working I would like to know they can, if not them then maybe another app.
    There really is no 'getting them working' in BT3 since they just work. All you need to do is start WireShark, and set it capturing. You'll see MAC's on the network you're connected to.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

What you say is true streaker, however I want wireshark to run a certain way. In order to do that I need to configure it, which requires time either reading up about the app or trial and error or both.

Have you ever used dhcpforce. It is used to capture mac addresses, tftp ip addresses and config file names while directly connected to cable BB.

Wireshark captures a hell of a lot more than that and I need to be able to use the filters and to extract the information fast.

I apologise if my original question was unclear but I wanted to know if there is an app specifically written to capture what I mention above, like dhcpforce for windose, and whether or not it was incorporated into bt3

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheLaw View Post
    What you say is true streaker, however I want wireshark to run a certain way. In order to do that I need to configure it, which requires time either reading up about the app or trial and error or both.
    You can use filters in wireshark for the capture and/or viewing.
    example: net 192.168.1.100 captures all traffic to and from the address.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.